Thank you

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Thank you

#1 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:09 pm

I just thought it was about time I gave some praise where praise is due.

Scurra and Gill work virtually non stop on this project. I know both of them have been quiet lately, but that's probably because not many people realise what a massive committment this is for them both behind the scenes.

Scurra, having had a limited experience of puzzle making, I know just how many hours this takes. I also know just how much research goes into it all. I am sure that you spend many hours making puzzles which you subsequently scrap, or amending puzzles once tricksy test solvers find dodgy bits which need changing. :mrgreen: BUT for you it doesn't stop there. I know you spend days and days fiddling around with layout issues, and making the puzzles look so wonderful and professional. Then there is all the site management and changing around of databases to put the puzzles on here (obviously I don't know what I'm talking about here but I do realise that it's a huge time committment).

Whilst everyone is enjoying the puzzles, Gill is behind the scenes test solving David's creations, researching stuff, running the business side, organising things, and sometimes sorting out fights between me and David. :oops: Both of you are also on here as moderators, and of course as friends.

Paulman, I think, also deserves a mention. He's there too, puzzle testing and more besides. :D

I think it is human nature to have a moan about something which has wound us up (I do it all the time), but it is less easy to remember to say things like:

Thank you.
You are wonderful.
We appreciate everything you do for us.
We enjoy the puzzles.
Some of the puzzles drive us mental but in the end we have a warped sense of satisfaction from having solved them.
We enjoy the forum and all the fun it brings.
You are truly good friends.

So now I have, and I mean all of it, from the bottom of my heart.

(Can I go back to being rude about Scurra now? Yes? Oh good.) :mrgreen: :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

kathlyn

Re: Thank you

#2 Post by kathlyn » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:13 pm

well said bunny :D
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

giraffe
Twigi

#3 Post by giraffe » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:35 pm

Absolutely, couldn't have put it better myself.

I particularly feel for Scurra who has to put up with us all moaning about how the puzzles torture us, but we keep coming back for more, because we like being tormented. I try to pm him when I have particularly enjoy a puzzle, but I hope he doesn't feel taken for granted.

Well done to the "Management" !

chazzie

#4 Post by chazzie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:38 pm

I echo everything Bunnylump has said - many thanks to Scurra, Gilll and Paulman for everything you do to get these puzzles to us, and providing such a fun forum. Already loo :D king forward to the next set of interesting puzzles :!:

BassBloke
Currently reading: Yamaha FS1-E restoration guide. Oh yas!

#5 Post by BassBloke » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:00 pm

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Top marks for a whole bunch of top people.

Long may it all continue.

Cheers. BB.
Durin' "Africa", I Are Mostly Bin Playin' - "Nile be watching you".

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#6 Post by Cenwulf » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:17 pm

I feel I should echo the Bunny's comments. As another forumian who has had a bash at setting puzzles, I know it can be a long and winding road from initial concept to final output. It can be expensive in time, resources and brainpower.
With these puzzles, I sometimes marvel at how Scurra has found yet another weird and wonderful way to get from the given puzzle to the final answer. And then to realise that he had to work backwards, starting from the answer and working out how to generate it in this novel way, makes me marvel even more.
To get a puzzle and find that even though it's familiar, it's been given a brand-new spin, is also part of the fascination. And long may it continue.

Scurra - when I tackle your puzzles, I know that you will have to lose eventually, but also that you will be gracious in defeat. I respond by being humbly respectful in victory. I know how hard it can be to even create one puzzle, never mind a dozen which lead to a meta-puzzle. Thank you for what you do.

gill - I see you as the 'mother' of the Forum, getting everything organised and keeping everyone playing nicely. That includes reining me in when I stray from the straight and narrow: sometimes I don't realise that I have posted something tactless. Thank you for everything you do to keep things running smoothly.

And those who test these puzzles, keep up the good work. I have on occasion posted a puzzle without having it tested, and consequently felt very embarrased at a big blunder. Thank you for taking the trouble to save the rest of us from the agony of Errer Errors - even though they occasionally do get through.

Finally, to everyone on the forum, I want to say thank you for just being here. We have never met, but I see you all as friends. I know very few people here where I live, but this Forum (like the DVP Forum which preceded it) makes me feel part of a wider circle. And whenever I need a clonk with a Shreddies box, I know someone will oblige: after all, I might be asked to swing the box by someone else.

Much Gracious
Cenwulf
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

Looby

#7 Post by Looby » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:13 pm

Bunnylump wrote:I think it is human nature to have a moan about something which has wound us up (I do it all the time), but it is less easy to remember to say things like:

Thank you.
You are wonderful.
We appreciate everything you do for us.
We enjoy the puzzles.
Some of the puzzles drive us mental but in the end we have a warped sense of satisfaction from having solved them.
We enjoy the forum and all the fun it brings.
You are truly good friends.
I repeat...thank you so much.
There's no point in having a last minute if you don't use it!

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#8 Post by SparkOut » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:15 pm

I said a long thank you post on DVP once, relating to the attitude and culture of going beyond the expectations of a commercial production, and growing a true community.

The same here in spades. And then many, many superlatives to expand on that. I can't express so well, how much I appreciate the whole of Puzzlebrains, the administration, the forum and community. And the puzzles. Even the ones I don't like! :D

THANK YOU.

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#9 Post by eirian » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:23 pm

though it goes against the grain to say anything supportive to my brother, I have to echo everything that's been said to date.
The work that goes into this site/magazine is massive, and anyone brave enough to test David's puzzles deserves a medal! (Every so often in the past he's sent me a puzzle and I don't think I've ever managed to solve one)
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#10 Post by MBH » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:49 pm

I can't agree........
..... more with what my adoptive Sister has said at the start, and what a diverse group of people I consider to be 'Friends' have added since then. I don't consider myself in the same league as many of you puzzle solvers (and setters), but I enjoy the challenge each issue brings and often get to a situation or realization where my only response can be "OK... that's clever" :geek:

The subtlety of the meta-puzzles are inredible, but that doesn't register the fact that there are as many OTHER puzzles to play with. These contributions (often from other members) make this a serious production which is becoming more stylish and higher quality issue by issue.

That is a lot about puzzles - but I'm not ignoring Gill (and possibly others) who deal with the practical puzzle of managing a world-wide distribution system and keeping everybody playing nice. :) [She never gets problems from me - funny that ;) ]

And if we're doing "thank yous" then my appreciation goes out to the rest of my forum pals that help me get more than half of each issue done before the next one comes out :lol:

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#11 Post by clvrlad » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:15 am

my thanks too ;-)

i might even attempt the next one the current one is still laying in the bag i take to work undone

:mrgreen:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

giraffe
Twigi

#12 Post by giraffe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:37 am

This issue I've done pretty much all the "other puzzles" sometimes I don't do many of them, but this issue I've really enjoyed them. So thank you for those too.

BassBloke
Currently reading: Yamaha FS1-E restoration guide. Oh yas!

#13 Post by BassBloke » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Yes, the "other puzzles" are important and should not be overlooked. I have a backlog going back to Seeing Stars and every now and again I get one or two out and have a go at them. While they are mostly quite different to the main puzzles they do stand on thier own merits as good, different, puzzles.

There is definitly space in the mainstream of puzzling for all of this. How terminally boring it must be to get one whole book of just Sudoku, or wordsearch, or crosswords etc etc?

Variety is the spice of life, and Puzzle Brains has it in spades.

Well done to ALL the production team. Again.

Cheers. BB.
Durin' "Africa", I Are Mostly Bin Playin' - "Nile be watching you".

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#14 Post by gill216 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:59 pm

Thank you all for the very positive comments.

I'm so glad that the "outer" puzzles have got their own mention............................. and I'm saying nothing more ;)
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

maisie ladybird

#15 Post by maisie ladybird » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:02 pm

I'd like to echo all that's been said above, I love the anticipation of receiving the new issue every other month and the challenge of working my way through such brilliant, unique puzzles.
I have never met anyone from the forum but know that when I need help/advice there are people willing to spend time and patience to help me on my way. I've said it before, I think this is a wonderfully friendly community and am glad to be a part of it.

Long may it continue :D

strep98
One Hot Cherub
Currently reading: Moon Sister

#16 Post by strep98 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:14 pm

I also want to echo what everyone else has said. A big thank you for hours of fun and frustration. You are all so clever and with no DVP now I personally would have probably lost a lot of friends, so thank you for that as well :)
I don't have hot flushes. I have short holidays in the Tropics.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.
A pesimist is only an optimist who knows more

Laura

#17 Post by Laura » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:20 pm

okay, well, I think I'd just be repeating stuff I said much - you've pretty much got it all covered - so a big DITTO!
and an even bigger THANK YOU!!! from me!

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#18 Post by LAT » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:33 pm

And of course I've come in here far too late to say anything original (as if I could anyway :roll: ) so I will just say that I agree with all the above. The puzzles are great, some truly amazing, and I take my hat off to anybody who creates one let alone a whole set linked together. I also really appreciate the organisation behind this and the many great friends I have on here.

Thanks Scurra, Gill and all.

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#19 Post by tricia » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:30 am

I also would like to say thank-you for the puzzles and for the help generously given to those who get stuck. I am still working my way through this months :oops:

But Scurra - I am holding you personally responsible for a recent addiction :o I am now hooked on Cryptic Crosswords since completing yours in an earlier edition of puzzlebrains. I dont't always manage to finish them b ut I am getting there :D

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

katsmom

#20 Post by katsmom » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:59 am

I'm obviously much further behind than anyone else! I still haven't finished two issues :shock: But I love them all the same. Thank you for a wonderful magazine that I can dip into when I find the time! Thank you for a boredom reliever! Thank you for this wonderful forum full of such wonderful people! And thank you for teaching me all about those "british things" and words that I didn't previously understand.

This has been a journey full of expanded useless knowledge that is really only good for pub quizes! :lol: And I've loved every minute of it. May PuzzleBrains never come to an end!