Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5001 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Aw, don't do yourself down. I'm sure it was fine. It is totally off putting being filmed, isn't it?
Anyway, Defence against a Cross-Wrist Grab sounds like some kind of Harry Potter lesson! :lol: Actually, when I first read it I thought you'd said Defence agains a cross -wrist crab, which had me confused for a while. :lol: On a more serious note, that sounds like a useful lesson. I can imagine that sort of unexpected move could be very difficult to counteract unless you knew what you were doing...

PS my reference to the scary underwear was in no way meant to illustrate anything other than the defiance I was feeling against my advanced age. Sort of along the lines of

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

:lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5002 Post by tricia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:41 am

It's NOT a good birthday
Its just a number Bunny :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Just remember you will always be younger than me :lol: :lol:

Love the poem - :lol: we bought it for my aunt a few years ago - she is always quoting it and she is in her seventies :lol:

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#5003 Post by eirian » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:43 am

You see, Bunny, you should have done what I did. I told my work colleagues that if I saw any hint of photos in the corridor/balloons etc I would just walk back out of the door and not come into work at all! I have made it quite plain over a number of years that I refuse to have anything like that done, and will do harm to anyone responsible for doing it. I think they believed me!
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#5004 Post by MBH » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:43 pm

Bunnylump wrote:On a more serious note, that sounds like a useful lesson. I can imagine that sort of unexpected move could be very difficult to counteract unless you knew what you were doing...
With a bit of manipulation I managed to be teaching in the same group that had 2 of our 3 women on the course. One of them is tiny - and I knew it would be impressive for her to use this technique on me (I'm about a foot taller than her), and also it may be of use to her in the future. She thanked me afterwards and they all said they would like to see the other 5 lessons in my 'scheme of work' ;)

The natural thing if someone grabs you is to pull back against the grab. That makes it a tug-of-war and the strongest person [usually large and male] wins. This is all about using knowledge and technique to do the work for you.

To finish the lesson I showed a very short clip from the Steven Segal movie "Under Siege 2" [the one set on the train]. The girl in this uses the exact technique of this lesson against the train porter... at which point I paused the DVD and said "That shows the move in a real environment - but what I DON'T want to see is:" then I started the play again as the girl allows the porter to regain his feet before flipping him head over heels along the corridor :lol: :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5005 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:33 pm

I can see I'm going to need to book you in for IT lessons AND self defence classes...! :lol:
Mind you, it'd be a brave person who tried to attack ME. I have a LOT of weight behind me and I wouldn't hold back! :lol: I'll never forget being bullied by a horrible boy at school. He was huge and ugly and kept picking on me and calling me names. I generally ignored him UNTIL he tried to shove me into a desk in an empty classroom. I just saw red. Next thing I've grabbed hold of him and hurled him across 4 desks. :shock: :o To this day I have no idea how I did that. :lol: He never spoke to me again or came within reach of me either. :mrgreen:

tricia

#5006 Post by tricia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:53 pm

:o
I just saw red. Next thing I've grabbed hold of him and hurled him across 4 desks. To this day I have no idea how I did that. He never spoke to me again or came within reach of me either.

is that a warning to Scurra - dont rile Bunny :twisted: :twisted:

Only joking - I'm intrigued about MBH lesson - my question is what DO you do when someone grabs your wrist?

Wallpaper is now upand looking nice- poor
Olly is still freaked out by the decorator - its the noise when he was sanding the walls - Olly was staring at the door and hissing and spitting then ran away to hide!

Tricia

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5007 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Aw poor Ollie!

Thing is, don't get me wrong, my general outlook on life is as a pacifist. But if someone physically attacks me, then I WILL retaliate. But I could do with some MBH style tuition, all the same! :D

tricia

#5008 Post by tricia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Dont worry - he has just been given a piece of cooked chicken and is enjoying h :D himself

Tricia

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#5009 Post by Redfraggle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:30 pm

I know how to defend myself against a wrist grab - it's even more effective if you happen to have an umbrella - BUT as MBH will point out. Self defence only buys you time to get away :geek: :mrgreen:

BassBloke
Currently reading: Yamaha FS1-E restoration guide. Oh yas!

#5010 Post by BassBloke » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:26 pm

I could not agree more.

I don't think I can rise any where near to MBHs martial arts standards but I did do Karate for a few years. My thinking the whole time was "I'm learning something which will give me the vital couple of seconds I need to LEG IT!!!"

The other major up side was I did get rather fit and trim. All history now though. Hey Ho. :roll:

BB
Durin' "Africa", I Are Mostly Bin Playin' - "Nile be watching you".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5011 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:12 am

Well (boring birthday update!) I opened my presents. Wow, what a lot of STUFF. :D
I got
more M and S vouchers from a friend
A necklace from one of the ladies at work
A beautiful candle holder and 3 sets of earrings from another friend
A laptop from D (yay!)
A big bunch of flowers and a bag with elephants on it (Lally would love it!) from my daughter
2 tickets to go to see Spamalot from both my children and their partners
A wind up boat with a little man who rows across the carpet, chocolates in the shape of roses and secateurs and some sellotape that looks like a zip :lol: from my son (who else?)

We went out and had a lovely meal in a French restaurant last night too.

Well, wasn't I spoiled? (And this continues with going out with friends on Friday and seeing family on Sunday... :D

Still, it will compensate for the horrible day I'll be having today. House clearing with my brother (we're hiring a van). So looking forward to a lot of misery and a bad back having moved furniture later. :roll:

Laura

#5012 Post by Laura » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:02 am

Oooh, now Spamalot is GOOD! I went to see it with some very famous people in it, who I thought might just be there to be the Famous Names, so that people wanted to go, but they were actually very good. Amy Nuttall, who was in Emmerdale played the lady of the lake, and she has an incredible voice. Marcus Brigstocke was in it as well, and Todd Carty. Can't remember the rest of the cast though. (It was 6 months ago!)

Wulfruna

#5013 Post by Wulfruna » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:29 pm

......coming home from hospital with an unexpected early birthday present - of a heart pacemaker :shock:
I had not been aware of any heart trouble until a sudden (brief) black-out last November and then a rather vague feeling of being generally tired and under the weather. Blood tests eventually identified a thyroid deficiency and treatment for that has certainly cured the constant tiredness - but the doctor also sent me for a routine heart check to see what had cause the fainting fit. It was a total surprise to be told that my heart was going slow and I needed a pacemaker. However, the NHS has done its wonderful best (and when they are good, they are very, very,good, whatever people say!) and I only had to wait 5 weeks for it. It's all so simple these days - just a local anasthaetic and home the next day.
So here I am, a bit sore (but not as much as I had expected) and needing to take it easy for a couple of weeks. I'm not allowed to wave my left arm around or lift things - which I am sure rules out any cooking ...... :D (well, he already does the hoovering, so that's ok :o )

And thanks to my wonderful daughter who organised a gorgeous big box of scented narcissi to greet me when I came home......

giraffe
Twigi

#5014 Post by giraffe » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Sorry to hear you've been feeling under the weather, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5015 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:39 pm

Isn't modern medicine a wonderful thing, Wulfruna? I'm sure it will give you a new lease of life! :D Hope the soreness goes quickly and you can return to your normal self. Does this mean you are officially "the bionic woman"? :D :D

Well, I've mostly bin...
lugging double beds down stairs, shifting furniture, clearing out reams of stuff from mum's. 3 x three tonne van loads to the dump and another 8 bin liners of stuff to the charity shop.

I'm more exhausted than I have ever been in my entire life. I ache in places I didn't know I had!! :x

kathlyn

#5016 Post by kathlyn » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Wufruna, i wish you a speedy recovery, makes my trip to physio today seem very tame.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

tricia

#5017 Post by tricia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Ihope you feel a lot better soon Wulfrina - you should notice a big difference after the soreness has gone.

To Bunny - glad you enjoyed your birthday and enjoy tomorrow

Tricia

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#5018 Post by Redfraggle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Very brave Wulfruna! Hope you feel tickety-boo soon xx

Wulfruna

#5019 Post by Wulfruna » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Well, I'm certainly ticking :lol: :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5020 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:52 pm

We have a year 8 boy with a pacemaker at school. You'd never know it!! He does have to avoid strong magnets, and BIZARRELY, isn't supposed to go within a metre of computers!! (But of course he does!) :lol: