Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
pebbles

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5021 Post by pebbles » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:03 am

Wulfruna, sending you so many good wishes! Get well soon! x

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#5022 Post by gill216 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:18 am

Glad it went well Wulfruna, :D and I'm so pleased you told everyone. I was thinking about you but I've been working 17 hours solid every day this week.

I missed Bunny's birthday too. Sorry Bunny- I hope you got the card !

I have one more day to go- its not often I work at this pace -in fact its not often I do real work at all!!! its 2am and I've only just finished for today. Needless to say the money is very much more than good. I can see some tidying up over the weekend coming but it has to stop by 9am Monday. The accounts I've been working on go to the High Court on Monday. Quite exciting to be asked to do the analysis of them, I'd just rather it hadn't been very much last minute. There was loads of time- they'd just not been looked at.

I have once again discovered that extremely intelligent people can be incredibly stupid if they put their minds to it. :roll:

Scurra, I have missed calls. PM me or I will ring you - hopefully tomorrow- but it will be after 6pm. If not, Saturday definitely!!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

maisie ladybird

#5023 Post by maisie ladybird » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:29 am

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Wulfruna. :D

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#5024 Post by MBH » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:30 am

Wulfruna wrote:Well, I'm certainly ticking :lol: :lol:
Good to know that the sense of humour is still going strong, and I wish you a quick and safe recovery.

Gill - that sounds like quite a project. Well done on getting the work (even if it does mess up the rest of life).

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5025 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:47 am

Crikey! Gill, you've been busy! And yes, I did get the card, thank you. I expect you'll be jolly glad when it's done!!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5026 Post by tricia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Make sure you take a rest after that Marathon session.

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#5027 Post by eirian » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:46 pm

gill216 wrote:I have once again discovered that extremely intelligent people can be incredibly stupid if they put their minds to it. :roll:
Sounds like you've had a heck of a week. But this I can totally agree with - look at most senior management :evil: :roll:
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#5028 Post by Scurra » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:09 pm

eirian wrote:
gill216 wrote:I have once again discovered that extremely intelligent people can be incredibly stupid if they put their minds to it. :roll:
Sounds like you've had a heck of a week. But this I can totally agree with - look at most senior management :evil: :roll:
This is commonly known as the Peter Principle ("In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence")
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5029 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:43 pm

I'd never heard of it being called that before, but heartily agree with it. I particularly liked the phrase: "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence"

...and like to think that I am currently at this level...having no desire for further promotion.

I think I'd be right in saying that a certain web slinger would definitely come into the category of " Managing upwards"(the concept of a subordinate finding ways to subtly "manage" superiors in order to limit the damage that they end up doing) having recently heard about some frankly ludicrous comments from his boss. Sadly, I think that my boss has now actually realised that this is also what I'm doing. She said to me the other day:

"What would I do without you here to sort out all the chaos I create?" :roll:

Never was a truer word spoken!! :lol: It's just rather a shame that she earns about five times the amount I do to create said chaos for me to sort out. :roll:

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#5030 Post by LAT » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:32 pm

You should suggest you swap positions Bunny.

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather Wulfruna, hope all gets back to normal for you soon. Keep ticking merrily! :D

And Gill, that sounds pretty horrendous, I trust the money makes it very well worthwhile.

I had hopes of catching up a bit on the forum during gaps in the convention I'm currently attending but I keep bumping into people who want to talk about various matters and I'm now due somewhere else shortly. The rest of the forum will
have to wait.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5031 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 pm

What with no internet at home and now being off jetsetting again, it'll probably take you about a month to read all the posts of drivel!!! :lol:

...Mostly bin spending yet more M and S vouchers (got some from my brother too). I think I'm keeping M and S in business just lately! :lol: Also collected present from my Dad - which had been delivered when I was out and had gone to the inaccessible sorting office. I was a bit concerned because he'd said "I hope it gets to you unbroken" :? . Well obviously my Dad is a real expert wrapper upper, because 2 pretty bone china mugs and a sugar boiling thermometer reached me in perfect condition!! :D
Oh, and more house clearance... (until my brother "got bored". Again. :roll: )

tricia

#5032 Post by tricia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:36 pm

set him a treasure hunt Bunny and see if that concentrates his mind more.

Going to have a nice night in and ake spagheti bologanise :D

Tricia

Tomorrrow I shall try and transfer my family history files from my computer to my laptop, No idea how to do it because I am not networked. But it should give me something to do until the next issue comes in

For Lat

Was thinking about you after I heard about the earthquake in Japan. I hope your friend are all safe

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5033 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Yum. I'm going out for a meal (again!!) with 10 friends. I've got my daughter transporting four of us (which could be a bit challenging in a Toyota Peanut with some lardy gits but hey ho. It's either that or K's boyfriend takes the roof off his MX5 and we all stand up... :lol:

tricia

#5034 Post by tricia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Enjoy your meal - Ive just seen the weather forecast and we have snow :shock: :shock:

Tricia

dramaticat

#5035 Post by dramaticat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Tricia - if you dare mention the word 'ice' anywhere in my vicinity ... :twisted:

Anyway, I've been looking at the Olympic timetable and trying to convince Ian that, since it's a once-in-a-lifetime event, we CAN afford to buy tickets.

I quite fancy the athletics, but I wonder if the suggestion of women's beach volleyball would be better received ??? ;)
Dear Mr Optimist, Mr Pessimist and Mr Realist, While you were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Yours sincerely, Mr Opportunist.

tricia

#5036 Post by tricia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Don't worry dramaticat - that word will never pass my lips you're around :D

Tricia

giraffe
Twigi

#5037 Post by giraffe » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:43 pm

I've been looking at the Olympics too. It's hard to know what to do as you bid for tickets without knowing where the seats are and you don't know if you are going to get them. If you bid and you get offered them you have to buy them, but if you don't bid you might miss the chance for the ones you want. Then is it too far to do as a day trip? Lally wants to see gymnastics, Kingsley wants to see swimming, the cycling appeals to me. You also only get a couple of hours for your ticket. Some days are split into three sessions. I fear it's going to cost a fortune for the five of us, but it is a once in a lifetime thing.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#5038 Post by LAT » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:32 pm

tricia wrote: For Lat

Was thinking about you after I heard about the earthquake in Japan. I hope your friend are all safe
Yes I too have been worrying about them. An email is on it's way to check they are all safe. It's only a month since I was there. And my son was in New Zealand a couple of weeks ago but having not allowed himself much time there had confined himself to the North Island otherwise he could well have been in Christchurch when the earthquake hit.

It all makes you think doesn't it? I watched a programme the other night about extreme weather and they mentioned the big storm in 1987. My daughter was 4 months old at the time and a tree in the garden opposite came down over us. We were lucky in that it only brought down some guttering and a few roof tiles, the guttering breaking a couple of windows on the way. Oh, and the power line to our house which wasn't sorted for a week. But things could have been so much worse.

And yes, Bunnylump, I think it will take me a long time to read all the backlog. There are whole sections of the forum I haven't looked at for nearly 2 weeks now.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5039 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Yes, I remember that storm for similar reasons. K was a month old and just newly home from ICU (she was 7 weeks prem). There was an enormous crash, D got up in a bleary state and walked into the bathroom. A massive great branch had smashed through the window. The problem was there was glass all over the floor so he cut his feet to ribbons. :roll: Then, as I recall, there was another massive storm in January 1990, which was even worse. I was 8 months pregnant and looking after next door's cat while they were on holiday abroad. Suddenly, their side chimney (massive) plunged right through their roof. There was water pouring through all the electrics and ceilings. As I ventured round to rescue the cat, I watched in horror as their green house was hurled into the air, and "exploded", sending lethal shards of glass through the air. Absolutely terrifying.

I've also been on holiday in Greece when there was an earthquake. That was interesting!!

Anyway, last night was really good, thank you. My friends had bought me lots more lovely presents, including a beautiful PURPLE watch. :D

dramaticat

#5040 Post by dramaticat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:19 pm

We went to Crete for our honeymoon. One morning the waiters at breakfast asked us what we thought of the (fairly minor) earthquake that had happened during the night.

We hadn't noticed ... 8-)
Dear Mr Optimist, Mr Pessimist and Mr Realist, While you were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Yours sincerely, Mr Opportunist.