Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5141 Post by tricia » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks Gill - I'll give ancestry a go

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

Laura

#5142 Post by Laura » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Well, today I've mostly bin getting ready to go to Centreparcs for the week. The amount of stress it's caused today, I'm not sure it's worth going. Might be more relaxing to just stay at home. :roll:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5143 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Hope you have a good holiday, Laura. :D

It's chaos here. OH was half way through his VAT return (which means the entire living room is covered in receipts) when he decided he needed to dismantle the bathroom to put new taps in AND dismantle the kitchen so that he could sort out the drains from the dishwasher. This coupled with the fact I have a load of stuff from Mum's, piles of my son's stuff (including a part dismantled ghostbusters outfit) AND all the tortoise paraphernalia, it sort of looks like a bomb has gone off. :roll: So I went out for a walk and delivered my friend a copy of the new magazine. How long do you think she'll remain my friend now? :lol: :lol:

Oh, and I've been laughing at my son. He asked me if I'd ever played the "cheeky bunny" game. Apparently it involves putting as many marshmallows in your mouth as possible and still being able to say "cheeky bunny" coherently. He managed TWENTY SEVEN. :shock: So there you go folks. There IS someone in this land with a bigger gob than me. :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

pebbles

#5144 Post by pebbles » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:00 am

Had little grandson and his parents here today. He is now walking a few steps! :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5145 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:39 am

Awww... :D :D :D

My "children" made me roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, 3 kinds of veg AND a strawberry raspberry and blueberry Pavlova. Lovely thought, but they served it up at 9 45 pm. So no sleep for ME tonight, eh?

giraffe
Twigi

#5146 Post by giraffe » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:53 am

Just been to Staples to buy a pad of squared paper to take on holiday. They had moved everything and when I asked for file paper the woman looked at me as if I had just asked for pickled sharks. Things didn't improve when I said paper with holes in to put in a file. Does it have a name that I'm unaware of or have I just stepped into a parallel universe?

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#5147 Post by Scurra » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:07 pm

You mean they still make squared paper - let alone sell it? Doesn't everyone use spreadsheets these days?! :wink: :lol:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

maisie ladybird

#5148 Post by maisie ladybird » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:18 pm

And did you manage to get any, Giraffe? Cause I could do with some, one of my children pinched my last few sheets off me! (And, yes Scurra, the Luddite Movement is still going strong! :lol: ).

kathlyn

#5149 Post by kathlyn » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:18 pm

Scurra wrote:You mean they still make squared paper - let alone sell it? Doesn't everyone use spreadsheets these days?! :wink: :lol:
I purchased a book of squared paper last week :)

I got it in Rymans
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5150 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:51 pm

Oh, I have EVERY kind of paper you could think of. Squared, isometric, manuscript, graph (two different sorts), lined (wide), lined (narrow) and...wait for it...YELLOW lined paper. :D And yes, I am sad, but stationery makes me happy. Computers, however, make me CROSS. You should hear some of the language which is used when I'm trying to draw puzzles on the pc. I have even been known to draw them out by hand and POST them to Scurra!! :lol: :lol:

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#5151 Post by Cenwulf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Nowt wrong with squared paper. I get mine from WHSmith and Wilkinsons. The Wilko stuff is cheaper but not as good quality: I use it as scratch paper for when I write puzzles, and write them up smart on the WHS paper. And then it gets typed up on the 'puter, where I can play around with it if necessary.
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#5152 Post by eirian » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Thought I'd post a pic of one of our younger puzzlers in action:

(thanks to Uncle Scurra for his christmas present)
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#5153 Post by LAT » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:24 pm

He looks such a gorgeous little boy. Nice to see he is following in the puzzling tradition. :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5154 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Aw, what a sweetiepie!! Looks like he's enjoying his puzzle! (Left handed too?)

chazzie

#5155 Post by chazzie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Don't you just love them at that age!

So was the present from Uncle Scurra the jigsaw - or the Best Ever Brain Games lurking in the background ??!!!!

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5156 Post by tricia » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:14 pm

lovely picture eirien

Not a happy bunny today - had an allergic reaction to something - possibly the types of calls I wa taking. .....But turned RED all over- now thankfully calmed down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also - can BBC provide a weather forecast for the whole of the uk and not just for the south east. We never had sun we never had 21 degrees C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. We had RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Carol Kirkwood beware

Gricia :evil:

edit - also had a bomb alert near us - related to the murder of the policeman in northern Ireland :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

What is the world coming to!
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

giraffe
Twigi

#5157 Post by giraffe » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:18 pm

Since the BBC changed the forecast map the presenter stands in front of us as they go down the East coast, then they go across the bottom and disappear through Wales to Ireland (and we're off the side of the map), and never actually show where we are. :roll:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5158 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:33 pm

That's odd tricia - I have a horrible rash too. I thought it was stress but now I'm not sure. It's right across my chest and neck area. Maybe there is a lurgy going round?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5159 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Oh crikey, what a day!! I've been at work all day trying to stop my department from going into meltdown. SLT are being RIDICULOUS, expecting them to work additional hours for free with the promise of (and I quote) "time in lieu to be taken at a mutually agreeable time". Except when one of them asked, quite reasonably, to have a day off to take her daughter to a university interview, having first checked with me that we could cover her lessons, she was refused. So what's "mutual" about that?? :evil: Now none of them will work additional hours and I can't cover the exam period or a school trip. :roll: (I don't blame them, either).

Got home (finished for Easter - yay!) to discover that the tortoise had managed to escape under his run in the garden. So we spent 2 hours searching our garden, and both next door's gardens until we eventually found him. :roll: In the process, my son, who was prodding under bushes with a 6 foot metal clothes prop, decided it would be a great plan to balance the pole on its end and let go of it while he looked under some leaves. I was crouched down with my back to him looking under next door's trampoline, and the metal rod came crashing down on the back of my head. I have a lump the size of an egg on the back of my head and feel DISTINCTLY woozy. :roll: :evil:

I have now finally sat down and had a cuppa, but feel WINE coming on very strongly. :lol:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#5160 Post by gill216 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:22 pm

How's this for men? Having returned from Spain in the early hours of Tuesday morning, worked Wednesday and today for proper money, OH suddenly announces he's got 3.5 weeks holiday from work starting Sunday - and he'd like to go to Spain sometime during that period and spend the rest of it messing about on the boat at the caravan.

Why did he not tell me before I booked my flights at short notice to go last week? Cos he didn't look far enough ahead in his diary thats why!. :roll: I brought my proper work up to date as far as I could get away with it for now -thinking I had loads of time to catch up, nothing pressing. Now I have to start all over again tomorrow. Thats as well as cleaning up the chaos that accrued during my absence etc and packing yet again 2 cases and looking for cheap flights.

Not only that I'm raging mad. It cost me £51.23 return trip to Malaga and now we have a speeding fine for £60 to travel 9 miles back from the airport to home. Not mine I must add.

GRRRR!!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan