2011 Meet

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
thomas_017
Currently reading: Terry Pratchett

Re: 2011 Meet

#41 Post by thomas_017 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:53 pm

Depending what date it is, and where's about, I may join you all! :)
Atm, currently looking for a summer job, but I'll be happy to come along and join in if I'm free and able to get there (Still haven't had a driving lesson!)

strep98
One Hot Cherub
Currently reading: Moon Sister

#42 Post by strep98 » Sun May 22, 2011 4:14 pm

MBH wrote:
I'm up for a tea-dance (my charming sister owes me a number of dances by now), but I suspect I'm on my own with that one.
I'm up for a tea dance if we are anywhere I can get to. MBH you promised me a dance anout a yaer ago and I would hold you to that if we ever met. :lol:
I don't have hot flushes. I have short holidays in the Tropics.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.
A pesimist is only an optimist who knows more

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#43 Post by gill216 » Sun May 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Offers to host and organise in your area would be absolutely fine Strep :D
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#44 Post by Bunnylump » Sun May 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Poor Strep - I think you just landed yourself there... :lol:

I'd love to go to the west country...

But having said that, I'd love to go anywhere. Not that I'm desperate, you understand!! :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#45 Post by MBH » Sun May 22, 2011 5:40 pm

strep98 wrote: I'm up for a tea dance if we are anywhere I can get to. MBH you promised me a dance anout a yaer ago and I would hold you to that if we ever met. :lol:
You're more than welcome my little cherub :D It's been FAR too long since I've danced.

I know Gill would like me to host here, but that is NOT going to happen this year. It's something I would love to do - but not practical [even with all the offers of help you lot are now busy typing - so just STOP!!! ;) ]

Some day - perhaps. We're going to be around here for a long time, aren't we?

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#46 Post by Scurra » Sun May 22, 2011 5:45 pm

MBH wrote:Some day - perhaps. We're going to be around here for a long time, aren't we?
Depends how bad the abuse gets. :lol:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#47 Post by Bunnylump » Sun May 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Aw... Scurra. You know we love you really. And you'd miss all the abuse, wouldn't you? :lol: And let's be honest, I get plenty myself. Keeps me on my toes, that's what I say. :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

strep98
One Hot Cherub

#48 Post by strep98 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:16 pm

I would loved to be able to arrange something down here, but bearing in mind I have the most antisocial miserable OH, who sulks when I go to church on a sunday, I can just imagine the row if I suggest I will be hosting a puzzle weekend for people who are not related to us and who are "FRIENDS" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Perhaps when I have buried him under the patio :lol:
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#49 Post by LAT » Sun May 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Maybe PBers could help dig! :lol:

strep98
One Hot Cherub

#50 Post by strep98 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:54 pm

I'll get the spades and concrete ordered :lol: :lol:

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#51 Post by Redfraggle » Sun May 22, 2011 7:46 pm

Awhh that's bad. I dont blame him actually. We all know that we are real but he just thinks we're 'virtual' friends.

So do we have any dates / venues yet? I need to book a boat. :roll:

Wulfruna

#52 Post by Wulfruna » Sun May 22, 2011 10:54 pm

I, too, would have loved to be able to have a meet down here in the South West, but would need a bit more time to prepare the ground...... maybe another time, eh Strep98???? On the other hand, this would hardly be very accessible for other people, unless we could persuade you all to stop off for a day whilst on the way to holidays? We do need the tourist trade..... ;) :D

I would try to come to anything that's arranged and am fairly free in August, if that is the likely time - but a lot depends on the location, which still seems to be a bit uncertain. For the same reason as stated above (i.e. that Strep98 and I are a bit out on a limb in Devon) it is a bit difficult for us to trek too far "up north", which involves a long journey each way with indirect rail connections.
Are we ready to pin down something definite? What is our geographical spread? Do we have people in a Central area who might have some suggestions? I suppose it depends on having a focal place of interest to visit ( and someone to organise that), whilst having somewhere to gather as a social group, as well as finding cheap overnight accommodation. Last year in London seemed to work fairly well for accessibility and interest, and turned out to have reasonable options for the accommodation also. August is not so far away now if we are serious about making arrangements!
I'm sure we'll all chip in again with offerings for a communal picnic meal, if that helps with the catering.

MBH
King of the Swingers

#53 Post by MBH » Mon May 23, 2011 9:04 am

I've got to admit that London is a nice fall-back position although the other places we've been to have been great. I'd love to visit the South East but since I can never commit to anything I don't want anything worked out around me.

There seemed a lot of time put into making the London weekend a success, and it is well appreciated by those of us coming from further afield :)

strep98
One Hot Cherub

#54 Post by strep98 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:33 pm

[quote="Wulfruna"]I, too, would have loved to be able to have a meet down here in the South West, but would need a bit more time to prepare the ground...... maybe another time, eh Strep98???? quote]
Yes perhaps we can get together on some arrangements, at sometime and if wyses99 is still around with us she may help too (I'll have to tell her I've volunterred her won't I) :D

giraffe
Twigi

#55 Post by giraffe » Mon May 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Do we have people in a Central area who might have some suggestions
I'm willing to help arrange something in the middle. Anyone have any suggestions of a good location in the Midlands? Staffordshire was mentioned once before, but I can't remember why that one fizzled out. Direct Trains to Birmingham / Stafford from Exeter. ;)

MBH
King of the Swingers

#56 Post by MBH » Mon May 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Or Birmingham itself? That's where I think of as 'the middle'. Far too long since I've been there, but I seem to remember it's quite spread out (a little like London) with different bits. It would be a case of 'picking an area'.

When the Martial Arts convention was at Birmingham I found a nice little guesthouse - and there are big name places as well. Then they shifted the convention to London and everything got expensive :(

giraffe
Twigi

#57 Post by giraffe » Mon May 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Compared to London it's a village. :lol:

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#58 Post by eirian » Mon May 23, 2011 3:05 pm

yep, but cheaper....
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

giraffe
Twigi

#59 Post by giraffe » Mon May 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Just been back through the thread trying to do a head count.

Giraffe(s)
Bunnylump
Redfraggle (+ 1 ?)
Gill (+1?)
MBH ??
Wulfruna
Strep?
Thomas017 ?
Eirian ??
Scurra ??
LAT
Supersleuth ?

Have I missed anyone obvious? Is Looby around, she's made the journey before. Tricia? Maisie ? Chazzie? Biscuit? Bassbloke? Clvrlad? What about some of our newer regulars Laura? Dramaticat ?

Is anyone strongly in favour / against one of the first two weekends in August? (No idea of the dates.) LAT doesn't like the beginning of months!

The treasure trail we did round Bourton was quite a good focus for the day. I think it was from this site. http://www.treasuretrails.co.uk/ There is quite an extensive list of places covered, four in Warwickshire, or quite a few in Staffordshire. I can't find anything similar for Birmingham itself.

My car seats 7, and I don't mind taxi ing to and from stations, B and Bs etc.

Over to someone else!
Last edited by giraffe on Mon May 23, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dramaticat

#60 Post by dramaticat » Mon May 23, 2011 6:46 pm

As with others, it all depends on when and where!

I'm on holiday from 12-18 June, can't do the last weekend in June, and then rehearsals start on 23 August, so from then on I doubt I could get away for a weekend. I've no doubt got other odd things too which aren't readily coming to mind.

I can get up to London for the day easily at any time, though. Although that could run me the risk of sitting next to another strange man on a train - and look where that got me! ;)
Dear Mr Optimist, Mr Pessimist and Mr Realist, While you were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Yours sincerely, Mr Opportunist.