Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5501 Post by LAT » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:21 pm

..... doing an unscheduled defrost of our freezer. :roll:
I went to put something in it only to discover my husband hadn't closed the door properly last time he went into it and everything was totally frozen up. I couldn't even get the drawers out for a while. So I have had to rehouse the contents, clean it all out, get all the ice off everything and mop the floor endlessly. Such fun!

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#5502 Post by eirian » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:25 pm

hmmm, sympathy there. Our freezer isn't quite as bad, but it does ice up inside the back panel, and at the moment it seems every few weeks have to unload it, take the back panel off, and stick a heater at it, with a towel to catch the defrosing ice... tedious...
There's a fault with it somewhere, but we haven't gotten around to getting someone out to look at it. I suspect the back panel just isn't fitting properly so it's icing up inside.
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#5503 Post by Redfraggle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:34 pm

I've been off work all day working through my to do list which is still growing! Got a spray tan done and I look quite strange :? Waiting on my visitors arriving tomorrow - roll on Gill and Colin! Then off to be married on Friday! :shock: :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#5504 Post by giraffe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 pm

I look quite strange
Misread that as Orange :oops:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5505 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:37 pm

:D :D Exciting!!! Can't wait to see the pictures of Ivan waltzing around the room with you on the trolley... :lol: :lol: (Redfraggle is terrified about the first dance. So she's thinking she might hide a trolley on wheels under her dress...) :lol:

Anyway, hope you're not too orange. You'll clash with your red dress...
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#5506 Post by giraffe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Have a lovely day!

LAT
Nagging Nora

#5507 Post by LAT » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Gosh Fraggle, how exciting. It's getting close now isn't it. :D

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#5508 Post by eirian » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Just don't talk to me about the first dance. I said quite clearly before hand that I was not going to do one. Unfortunately, no-one told the band and even when I restated my determination loudly in front of everyone, they still made me do it.
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#5509 Post by Redfraggle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:50 pm

:lol: Good one! I plan to practice dancing tomorrow with Gill - and she doesn't know it yet.

I'll have to post pics of my hen party from Saturday night. I went walking through Belfast city centre at 2.45am wearing a pink sash, cowboy hat and knickers over my trousers! :lol:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#5510 Post by gill216 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:58 pm

You were nearly walking through Belfast at 2.45 or thereabouts tomorrow. Colin announced at 9pm his smart shoes were at college. He thought he might just buy some in Belfast tomorrow. I don't think so matey. Guess where he's just been :mrgreen:

And my legs are going orange. I have time to scrub it off tomorrow :roll:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

LAT
Nagging Nora

#5511 Post by LAT » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:05 pm

definitely the right move Gill. Nigel once realised he hadn't brought proper shoes with him when we were going to a wedding. Quick trip into the nearest town to buy a new pair. He just about got through the day in them and never wore them again!

giraffe
Twigi

#5512 Post by giraffe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:12 pm

We once had to buy the children emergency shoes. We went to my MIL's for the weekend, setting out Friday evening and put them in their pyjamas and slippers, so they could sleep in the car. We had to go to a shoe shop with them in their slippers, and buy the cheapest we could find.

And then there was the time OH loaded the car and didn't put my bag in, so I had no clean clothes or nightwear.... but that's another story!

katsmom

#5513 Post by katsmom » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:41 pm

When I go anywhere I'm terrified of loosing my luggage and having no clean unmentionables. So I always put a change in my handbag/backpack/carry-on. Well, the last little trip I took, I put them in my new backpack and forgot that it had a roll up extension in it. A week later, I was digging through my bag and couldn't work out what the cloth was. Pulled out a bra on the train now didn't I? :oops: :lol: :lol: (I almost think I would rather go without)

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5514 Post by tricia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Watched an extremely moving program of the annieversary of the Clydebank Blitz. I had grown up aware of the stories of this - however to see it and see the devistation of streets very near to my own was extremely moving. My own house bears some scars from that period. It was also a shock to discover that the government of the day had censored the details. I was amazed at the stories of some of the people affected and shocked to realise that I actually knew some of those people interviewed.

tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

Snoopy

#5515 Post by Snoopy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Missed the programme, Tricia. But my mother and grandmother used to talk about it. I was brought up in Scotstoun, not very far from you. They remembered seeing the fires and then going along later to see if friends were ok and finding people wandering the streets with only the clothes on their back. My father also remembered the shipyards down the Clyde being bombed.

giraffe
Twigi

#5516 Post by giraffe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:27 pm

...my husband interviewed someone today for a job and she did the same degree at the same university that I did. He asked what she did in her spare time and she said walking and logic puzzles. He's having her back for a second interview, so I'm temped to send him in with a PB puzzle as a test! :lol:

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#5517 Post by Scurra » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:34 pm

I don't know - the lengths some people will go to just to solve one. :D
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

LAT
Nagging Nora

#5518 Post by LAT » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:59 pm

......getting wet. And eating and drinking.
I went to a memorial service for my husband's uncle which was a joint service for all people who had left their bodies for medical research, study etc. There were about 350 names in the service book which were also displayed on a screen for a couple of seconds each in turn throughout the service. One that caught my eye was 'Dizzy Whizzbang Fizzypop Moore' :o
Another that I hope wasn't her maiden name was Jean Bean.
Afterwards we went to a restaurant for lunch but it was pouring with rain and, of course, everyone was trying to get taxis. I managed to grab one for our aunt and four others then my husband, son and I decided it might be quicker to walk. It was only about 15 minutes but we got totally drenched, even though I had a waterproof jacket. I was balancing on one leg under the hand dryer to try to dry off the knees of my trousers!
Still lunch was good. Afterwards I got a bit wet again going to meet my sisters. We had supper (and some wine of course) in a wine bar. Then I got wet again at Waterloo getting onto my train home. And again when I got off at this end. :roll:
I think I need a nice long wet bath. :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5519 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:56 am

You probably don't need one now. You should have just taken a bar of soap with you... :lol:

Love that name. I really liked one of the names of one of the Queen Mother's corgies - there was a grave in Glamis Castle grounds with "Fizzwhizzy" on it. What a great name. :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5520 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:17 pm

...Taking at least 150 books on anything connected with wildlife which belonged to Mum (bird books, butterfly books, plant books, books about reptiles, insects, spiders) plus loads of books about geology to the College Lake Wildlife reserve. They have a second hand book shop out by the lake which raises funds for the conservation work. I was a bit dubious about taking all of them, but they were absolutely delighted. They said they will be either selling them to raise funds or using them in the education centre to teach school groups. My Mum would have definitely approved of that (being an ex teacher and having a fascination for the natural world). :D

I had been taking all the stuff to the local charity shop, but then it occurred to me that this was probably quite a niche market, and that people who visit the wildlife reserve (birdwatchers etc.) would get the most pleasure from them. I'm glad I did. We had a nice walk while we were there (and a nice farm-style ice cream too!).