Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
dramaticat

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5601 Post by dramaticat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:45 am

MBH wrote:
dramaticat wrote: Perhaps I shouldn't travel any more. After all, look what happens when I get on a train from Durham to London ... ;)
Hmmm... my company compared with throwing up for hours - that does a guy's confidence the world of good :roll:
You should just be grateful I've grown out of most of my childhood propensity to throw up on any and every form of moving transport :lol: Trains were always the best option, but even then, I had my moments :shock:

We'd like to do this holiday again, and are looking at going by train next time to avoid both vomit (not just mine - there were several parties of schoolchildren on the boat - just imagine!) and an 8-hour drive. Anyone have any experience with French trains?
LAT wrote:I'm not a fan of hovercrafts, I like to be able to get out into fresh air.
I was just about to go and find my way out on deck when the captain announced that it was out of bounds due to bad weather :roll: I ended up sitting in a little cubbyhole near some drinks machines on the floor to try and hide from everyone. It was particularly annoying because we had booked comfy reclining seats :cry: Apparently it was so rough that a couple of the waves went right over the top of the ferry :shock:
Dear Mr Optimist, Mr Pessimist and Mr Realist, While you were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Yours sincerely, Mr Opportunist.

giraffe
Twigi

#5602 Post by giraffe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:06 am

I heard this morning that my great aunt died yesterday. It's about 6 weeks since she celebrated her 100th birthday, so it's not as if she didn't have a good innings. She fell earlier in the week and broke her hip, and had an operation to pin it back together, but I guess it was all too much for her.

strep98
One Hot Cherub
Currently reading: Moon Sister

#5603 Post by strep98 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:37 pm

Sorry to heard about you great aunt Giraffe.

I have been to a lace fair today an I won some beautiful painted bobbins so I think it was an omen to start classes in September.
I don't have hot flushes. I have short holidays in the Tropics.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.
A pesimist is only an optimist who knows more

kathlyn

#5604 Post by kathlyn » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:52 pm

Sorry to hear your sad news giraffe.

Well done strep look forward to hearing how the lace making goes.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

strep98
One Hot Cherub

#5605 Post by strep98 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:25 pm

Not sure I will be very good at it but I'm giving it a go. They has some fantastic stuff there and I bought a couple of things, and picked up cards so I can drop hints for Christmas.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5606 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Sorry to hear about your grand old lady, Giraffe. She did wonderfully well though to reach such a fine age. I expect she'll be missed terribly though, even so.

I've mostly bin...driving back from Cornwall. AGAIN. This time with loads of STUFF which I have nowhere to put. House looks like a bomb has hit it (even more than normal...)
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#5607 Post by clvrlad » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:14 am

...finishing getting packed
off to portugal today
so i wont be on for a week or so ;-)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5608 Post by tricia » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:43 am

strep98 wrote:
I have been to a lace fair today an I won some beautiful painted bobbins so I think it was an omen to start classes in September.
what lace are you going to try honiton or torchon. Once you get the hang of it is very relaxing

Giraffe

sorry to hear your sad news

clvrlad

Have a great time in Portugal

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

strep98
One Hot Cherub

#5609 Post by strep98 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Oh I'm going to try torchon, as I will never be able to do Honiton, I looked at some yesterday and you and Eriain are far cleverer than I ewill ever be at it.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#5610 Post by LAT » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Sorry to hear about your great aunt giraffe. But as you say, 100 is a pretty good age to reach.

I expect I'm too late to wish you a happy holiday clvrlad, but I hope you have fun.

Good luck with the lace making strep! I've always thought it looks far too complicated for me. :? Knitting is more my level although I would be quite interested in giving it a go one day.

tricia

#5611 Post by tricia » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:33 pm

strep98 wrote:Oh I'm going to try torchon, as I will never be able to do Honiton, I looked at some yesterday and you and Eriain are far cleverer than I ewill ever be at it.
I made a torchon lace garter for a friends daughters wedding BUT as she would not aalow me to meaure her thigh - it fell down as she was going down the aisle so whe she was signing the register she had to take it off and pass it tho he husband - and he put it in he put it in his pocket!

Tricia

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5612 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:21 pm

...Making a tyrannosaurus rex birthday cake complete with "milk bottle" sweets as teeth! This was for the dinosaur cake competition for my nephew's 25th birthday barbecue. The barbecue was ok to start with, when my niece, brother, sister in law and my nephew's girlfriend's parents (who I know) were there, but gradually, as the "friends" started to turn up (quite a few of whom were the "multiple piercings, tattooed, blue haired variety, and the lager started to flow, and the music got louder and more monotonous, I decided it was time to go... :roll: Anyway, despite a noble effort, all in a rush (because I only had this morning to do it), the T rex didn't win. First prize went to my niece's complete 3-d green dinosaur, who came complete with bright red spines. I was very envious of the dinosaur space hopper that she won. :lol: She says she's going to get another one so we can have a space hopper challenge in my back garden... :mrgreen:

dramaticat

#5613 Post by dramaticat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:26 pm

Learning to play the tenor mandola that Ian bought me on Saturday. We've booked to go on the same holiday next year as we went on this year, so I've got exactly a year to become vaguely proficient on it!
Dear Mr Optimist, Mr Pessimist and Mr Realist, While you were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Yours sincerely, Mr Opportunist.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5614 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:31 pm

:D Cool!

I've mostly bin...sweltering. It's been 31 degrees here today, and guess what? Some stupid bees decided it would be a great plan to build a nest over the weekend under one of the tables outside the 6th form block (where I was). So we were instructed to SHUT all the windows while the bee catchers removed them. I had to sit with a poor lad who was doing his exam. I felt like I was going to be sick, it was so dreadful. :roll:

giraffe
Twigi

#5615 Post by giraffe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:43 pm

It's tipping down with rain here, so that should cool it down a bit. It hasn't been very sunny today, but it has been very muggy.

dramaticat

#5616 Post by dramaticat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:57 pm

I'm looking forward to the promised thunderstorm tonight!

tricia

#5617 Post by tricia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:10 pm

Guess what - I have not had a heat wave and it has been wet wet wet. I bought a companion seat for the garden the first sweek in May and that was the last time we could sit out. We get nice weathe during the week bur i'm stuck at work :evil:

so enjoy the rain and the reduced temperatures but please send some sun my way ;)

Tricia

giraffe
Twigi

#5618 Post by giraffe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:11 pm

I've never seen rain like we've just had! Total monsoon! It was coming off the roof and falling like a curtain in front of the windows because the gutter couldn't cope. Thunder and simultaneous lightning, not rumbling thunder, but like a gunshot. The road was like a river, and the TV has ceased to receive SKY channels. (OH was trying to watch the cricket) :roll: We've had to close all the windows so that we didn't drown.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5619 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:14 pm

We still haven't had any. I'm hoping we do so that I don't have to water the garden... :roll:

giraffe
Twigi

#5620 Post by giraffe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:19 pm

I think it has flattened all the plants :lol: :lol: :roll: