2011 Meet

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Re: 2011 Meet

#181 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:04 am

Right.

LAT and I spent yesterday sorting out, checking and writing clues for our treasure hunt. We are really pleased with it.

It will begin at College Lake Wildlife Reserve, which is in BULBOURNE near Tring. It is easy to find - you take the B488 off the A41 (Signposted TRING). Follow this road straight, until you see the GRAND JUNCTION ARMS on your left. Drive over the canal bridge, and College Lake is on your left. There is a car park there (they ask for a "donation" of £2 for the car park), and a visitor centre where you can wait if you are a bit early.

We will pick up anyone who is coming by train from Tring Station, but obviously we need to know which train you are on. I will send my mobile number to anyone who has told me they are coming.

The trail will include a short walk (1 and 3/4 miles) round the wildlife reserve, with clues en route. We will then have a car trail which takes in some of the local places of interest, and a pub lunch. The pub serves a range of food, either hot or cold and should suit most tastes. http://www.bridgewater-arms-berkhamsted.co.uk/ We anticipate that the trail would finish late afternoon, and can deliver anyone back to Tring Station by 6 30 pm at the latest.

If anyone particularly wants to bring their own lunch, this, of course, is fine, and there are plenty of places en route where you can sit and eat outside if you would prefer.

At the moment, with the numbers of people who have confirmed they will come, we will probably have two "teams" and two cars doing the route.

We would like to encourage people to bring their digital cameras (if they have one) because there will be a supplementary competition for best (or most amusing) photographs under a certain theme. I will bring my laptop (assuming it's still working!!) so please also bring your leads to download the photos, so we can all have a good laugh at the end. I can then also share them (with your permission) on the forum at a later date.

For those of you who are sadly unable to attend, and time willing, I will try to set up a little map trail puzzle so you can see where we all ended up.

You will need:
A waterproof coat (yes, we will still be going if it's raining - we may re-jig the order if it looks like it will be drier in the afternoon, but will still meet at College Lake).
Shoes you can walk in which don't matter if they get a bit muddy. So no stilettos, Scurra!
Camera and lead (if you have one)
Enough money for lunch (if you are having any).

We will supply pens, trails, directions, waterproof folders and hopefully some cake in the afternoon.

Any questions?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#182 Post by giraffe » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:48 am

Yes miss! I have a question. Shall I bring a cake? :mrgreen:

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#183 Post by Scurra » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Miss, miss, she didn't put her hand up first.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

giraffe
Twigi

#184 Post by giraffe » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:25 pm

Miss Miss giraffes don't have hands! and he's off-topic :mrgreen:

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#185 Post by MBH » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Now, Now children - play nice :lol:
Bunnylump wrote:The pub serves a range of food, either hot or cold and should suit most tastes.
Blast - I just made the mistake of looking at the menu and now I'm starving :(

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#186 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Well, you'll just have to come down and try it then... :mrgreen:

I did actually delete the part in my post which originally said
"There is a visitor centre and a toilet"... :lol:

But I will, of course, be expecting you to all form an orderly crocodile, and wait to be supervised over any roads. Don't forget your permission slips, and do be aware that you will only be allowed into the gift shop supervised, in twos. :mrgreen:

You can bring a cake if you want to, Giraffe, but I'm (time willing) planning to make one, and LAT might also make some crispy cakes too. So don't worry too much, otherwise we'll all have to eat multiple cakes. Having said that, that sounds pretty good... :mrgreen: :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#187 Post by LAT » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:29 pm

Bunnylump wrote:But I will, of course, be expecting you to all form an orderly crocodile, and wait to be supervised over any roads. Don't forget your permission slips, and do be aware that you will only be allowed into the gift shop supervised, in twos. :mrgreen:
That did make me giggle :lol:
Bunnylump wrote:we'll all have to eat multiple cakes. Having said that, that sounds pretty good... :mrgreen: :lol:
Could someone explain the problem in that to me? :?

Laura

#188 Post by Laura » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:35 pm

no. :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#189 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:27 pm

OK, so by my count, I now have 10 of us coming to the meet on 6th Aug. If anyone is still interested in coming, you would be very welcome.

I will put up a simple map trail puzzle here on the morning of the meet which features some of the places we will be visiting for those of you who can't come but would like a little flavour of where we are going. Unfortunately, the map I have is too big a file to attach, so I am hoping Scurra will be able to do something with that for me. :D Obviously, people who are coming on the meet should not peek prior to the meet because it will spoil some of the locations!!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#190 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:37 pm

Oh, one little thing to add to your kit list. A small pair of scissors or a penknife (one for each team) might be useful. I could probably muster something up if necessary though.

...No, you're not WHITTLING anything, don't worry. :lol: I made my son and his girlfriend try out the College Lake questions. My son was all keen to add bits where you had to wade in the water and find things. :roll: :roll: You'll be pleased to hear I haven't listened to him. :lol: And I still haven't incorporated the crisp jigsaw either. :lol: I don't think LAT would like to put her name to something he's contributed to somehow... :lol: :lol:

I just hope we have another day like today -weather wise!

supersleuth

#191 Post by supersleuth » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Am getting really envious. Just sorry I can't be there but will be at a wedding in Morecambe. Shame, as I'd love to do a crisp jigsaw

LAT
Nagging Nora

#192 Post by LAT » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:11 am

I have a mini swiss army knife which I've never used. I can bring that for my team. :D ( I even found it late last night!)

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#193 Post by MBH » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:16 am

Note: LAT is an ex-member of the Mini-Swiss Army... may be usefull in the future after following false trails and finding ourselves stuck.

:lol:

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#194 Post by Scurra » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:28 am

MBH wrote:may be usefull in the future after following false trails and finding ourselves stuck.
Only if we get stuck inside a horse's hoof though.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

LAT
Nagging Nora

#195 Post by LAT » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:41 am

I like the thought that I may be useful in the future. Could you tell my children that please? :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#196 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Supersleuth - I am so sorry we couldn't all arrange something which everyone could get to. I will miss you! Maybe next time?

Wulfruna

#197 Post by Wulfruna » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:06 pm

MBH wrote:
Bunnylump wrote:The pub serves a range of food, either hot or cold and should suit most tastes.
Blast - I just made the mistake of looking at the menu and now I'm starving :(
I see what you mean - I've just had a look and that is really some menu :shock: It'll be a puzzle in itself deciding how to make a choice :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#198 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Quick reminder that sensible shoes are essential. It's rained buckets here today so the path will be a bit muddy and might be a little bit slippery in places.

Also, don't forget your camera!! This will be part of the activity - we need at least one per team if at all possible. :D Also, please remember the cord thing which lets you download your pictures if you can* - I'm going to TRY to bring a laptop to download them so we can see them properly at the end. And as long as they don't feature unflattering photos of me from behind then I will post some on the forum on the Sunday if I can. :lol: That way you non-attendees can all be quite sure that you did the right thing in avoiding us for the day... :lol: :lol:

*Scurra - this will almost certainly be a job for you. You know how technically inept I am... :roll:

giraffe
Twigi

#199 Post by giraffe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:20 pm

I don't have walking shoes, so you'll get me as I come I'm afraid. Fortunately I don't have stillettos either, so I'll be wearing my comfy sandals. I wonder where the camera got to, I'll have to check the battery.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#200 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:23 pm

I'm sure comfy sandals will do fine. Just as long as you don't mind them getting a tiny bit muddy.