Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
giraffe
Twigi

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#6261 Post by giraffe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Surely the teacher stands still with a whistle and the kids run around?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#6262 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Not when I do it... :lol:

I've just been offered two free tickets to see Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Spy tonight! And even better, it's at the lovely Rex Cinema http://www.therexberkhamsted.com/gallery.asp, rather than at Wallyworld. :D :D So I'm taking Janet. How cool is that?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#6263 Post by Scurra » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:37 pm

Tinker, Tailor is quite unusual in that respect, in that it seems to have been shown at both the arthouse/independent cinemas and at the multiplexes. (I suppose it's because the cast is amazing; you don't have to work hard to persuade people to go and see Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Toby Jones, John Hurt, Ciaran Hinds and Benedict Cumberbatch!)

Mind you, it doesn't hurt that it's a really good film. :)
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6264 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:50 pm

I'm really looking forward to it, and it's even better because it's free (whereas this should be setting us back £16). My friend Claire had booked tickets for her sister in law (Claire and Ted are members) and S-i-l can't go. Even better, when I offered to pay, Claire said "No, they're absolutely loaded. Don't worry about it." :lol: :lol:

I would very strongly recommend the cinema though, it's lovely (art deco style). I'll take you there one day, Scurra. :D (Sorry, hope you don't mind being publicly invited for a date... :lol: :lol: :lol: )

For all those "literalists" out there, it's not really a date!! (I'm sure Scurra would be relieved to hear that too, mind!!)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6265 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:17 am

...Film was good, even if I didn't totally follow what was going on... :oops: :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#6266 Post by giraffe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:14 am

........thinking about demolishing the downstairs toilet. It is one of those where the cistern is boxed in, and although you can unscrew the bit of worktop on top of the cistern it seems that they have tiled too close to the top and so there is no movement in the worktop, and so to get it off it would need the tiles removing. I think there is a leak from somewhere behind there as the floor seems damp and I can't tell what is going on as I can't get at it. :(

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#6267 Post by gill216 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:08 pm

....Thinking about demolishing my OH!!!! Plumber arrived at 9.30, fitted new boiler part, switched everything on and waited until the water and radiators started to heat up. He left at 10.30. Wonderful :D
At 10.35 OH decided to bleed all the radiators ready for winter. The valve in the lounge radiator blew out to an unknown location so he stuck his finger in the hole to stem the flow of water. Except then it started spraying everywhere, mainly into the back of the tv. I pulled the tv stand out of the way- dismantling the top in the process. I have one curtain absolutely sodden, the carpet is soaked and as all the plugs and wiring for the tv, dvd, stero etc all got a good soaking then I'm sitting in silence until they dry out before finding out what the final damage list is. And of course I had to turn off the water.........................

Just one bucket of s**t tomorrow please- I think I've had more than my fair share recently :( :evil: :!:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#6268 Post by clvrlad » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:45 pm

at least you know a good plumber :lol:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6269 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:53 pm

Oh dear, Gill. Maybe you should confiscate OH's toolkit so that he can't do anything like that again? :lol: In THEORY, you shouldn't have to bleed radiators at all if your system is working correctly...

I've had one of "those" days - you know, the kind where you have a whole load of year 10s heating copper carbonate in china crucibles (which get alarmingly hot, and crack if you cool them too quickly, but if you put them down on the "heat proof mat" or worse still, the bench, will singe it and could start a fire) and the fire alarm goes off. :roll: Cue mass evacuation of 1100 pupils into the rain having dashed around trying to make the lab safe before leaving in the least time possible. :roll: THEN having to run around to find an autistic year 7 who has a phobia about bells and alarms, who was in freak out mode. :roll: Such fun. :roll:

giraffe
Twigi

#6270 Post by giraffe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Oh no you both sound like you need a stiff drink!

I had quite a good day except that the plumber hasn't phoned back. Managed to collar the tree surgeon who I phoned about 3 months ago and left a message, but he didn't call back. He was working opposite, so I dragged him over to quote for removing two dead trees and one that is very much alive, but growing out of the bottom of the house. He has done work for us before and is quite efficient (except at answering his phone) and doesn't charge the earth. Got a few other jobs done too.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6271 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:36 pm

Excellent. I shall go and have a giant Southern Comfort, and when I am in an uncontrollable heap later, and being unnecessary and smutty, I shall be able to say that it's all Mummy Giraffe's fault... because she lead me astray...:mrgreen:

giraffe
Twigi

#6272 Post by giraffe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:45 pm

You can't blame me I don't drink! :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6273 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:49 pm

You non drinkers are the worst culprits for leading people astray. Look at that brother of mine... :lol:

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#6274 Post by tricia » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Preparing evidence for my annual review which takes place next week. We have to grade our behaviours on how they fit in with the core principals of the orgainsation. I just hate doing it :(

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6275 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:41 pm

:( I need to DO nine annual appraisals and observations. <Sigh> Thing is, it's on my job description, but my boss seems to think she is supposed to do it. Hence nobody has had an annual appraisal for five years. Last time I had one, my boss spent the entire time in tears telling me how much one of my colleagues had upset her during HER appraisal. :roll: She didn't once mention ME. :roll: The thing which worries me is that they are bringing out new guidelines whereby we can't have salary increments unless it's done. :roll: :roll:

Sometimes I REALLY wish I worked for myself. :cry:

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#6276 Post by tricia » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:08 pm

bunny - do you want to do mine - based on my ability with these puzzles :lol: :shock:

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#6277 Post by LAT » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:23 pm

they dispensed with annual assessments in my office this year. It all seemed a bit pointless. :roll:

giraffe
Twigi

#6278 Post by giraffe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 pm

tricia wrote:bunny - do you want to do mine - based on my ability with these puzzles :lol: :shock:

Tricia

I wouldn't want anyone to assess me based on my performance with puzzles!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6279 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:05 pm

Ah, well I will assess you instead on your wonderful cheeriness, Tricia. And for that, you get 100% and a recommendation for promotion. :lol:

Laura

#6280 Post by Laura » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:12 pm

Today I've been to Thorpe Perrow arboretum and falconry with mum, Lilsis, Gmaal (bro-in-law) and Bun.

Bun got out of the car, looked around, pointed and said 'Tree!'. It was difficult to exlain that that was rather the point of an arboretum.

He has quite a few other words now. We saw ducks, which was great, because if it quacks then it's a duck. Unfortunately, if it doesn't then it's a chicken. So there are quite a few confused falcons etc. up in North Yorkshire. Similarly, if it barks, it's a dog. If it's not it's a cow. Rather confused Llamas and meerkats. :lol:

I got bashed on the head by the wing of an eagle owl during a display; Gmaal held a falcon. All the trees were really beautiful, with some weird and wonderful ones mixed in with the sorts of things I was expecting to see.