Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#6281 Post by tricia » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Thank you Bunny I will pass this on to my TeamLeader :D :D
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#6282 Post by MBH » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:25 pm

Bunnylump wrote:You non drinkers are the worst culprits for leading people astray. Look at that brother of mine... :lol:
Me???????????????? :shock:

I wouldn't force alcohol on you....... Jelly baby? Tic-tac??
Laura wrote:I got bashed on the head by the wing of an eagle owl during a display
Looks like there was a bird you forgot about.....

DUCK

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#6283 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:30 pm

:lol: I didn't say you would force alcohol on me, just that you lead me astray. :lol: And unless you can TRUTHFULLY say that tickling me so that I squealed really loudly in the National Trust ticket office WASN'T leading me astray, well, I'll let you off the charge. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

And Laura, that sounds like a lovely day out! Little children do that "over extension" thing with words. Although some are more understandable than others. I remember my nephew at about the same age used to call elephants OMELETTES! :shock: :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#6284 Post by LAT » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:00 pm

When my daughter was little she only saw Daddy when he was setting off to work first thing in the morning so she was always told to wave to Daddy. So for quite a while if you said Daddy to her she waved! :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6285 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:08 pm

My daughter used to think that "Daddy" meant "man". Consequently I would be pushing her around in her pushchair, and she would be merrily pointing to every man that passed and saying "Daddy"!!! How embarrassed do you suppose I was?? :lol: There wasn't any doubt about her parentage, honestly!! :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#6286 Post by giraffe » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:11 am

I remember explaining to my nephew why I had just told K that the sundial in my mother's garden was hot. She knew not to touch something that was hot, but hadn't learnt the word for heavy, and I was worried that she would push the top and it would fall on her!

Laura, Duck was K's first word, but it came out as Gak. I was never sure if she was saying duck or quack, but her cuddly Jemima puddle duck was called Gak for quite a while.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6287 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:53 pm

...Keeping up with the "Streelers". :lol:

I've been making my Christmas cake. It's cooking now, and the house smells LUVERLY. :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6288 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:01 pm

...More sorting stuff. And photographing loads of random things like 25 boxed radio valves which appear on E bay priced £7 each (why did he have those??), about a billion boxes of diodes, invar rods, endless collections of records ranging from entire classical collections to Roger Whittaker to Pam Ayres to lots of random records in Russian and Hungarian (convinced my Mother was actually a spy) to recordings of birdsong (14 of these, so if anyone wants to know a shoveller from a red necked phalarope, I'm your girl) and the Wurzels. :roll:

I'm sure SOMEONE must want this junk... :?

Oh, and latest chemicals were unidentifiable - so I rang up Dad. The conversation went a bit like this:
me: "Is sodium sulfate bad?"
Dad: "No, that's a bit like Calgon. Keep that in the keep pile"
me: "What are these crystals in this big brown jar without a label?"
Dad: "Oh, don't open those. If they come into contact with moisture they might blow up. Put that in the bad pile."

:roll:

Does anyone else have parents like this, or is it JUST me?

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6289 Post by LAT » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:27 pm

er, mine were much more boring as far as I can remember.
In fact my mother spent a lot of time in the years before she died sorting through and getting rid of stuff so that we didn't have to! So I could have missed out on all sorts of delights but will never know.

giraffe
Twigi

#6290 Post by giraffe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:01 pm

My granddad got rid of a lot of stuff towards the end as it was worrying him having it around, he would keep handing things to my mum and she just accepted them and got rid as necessary. (Not sure what she did with the hand grenade, but the WW2 bayonet is still at her house and I'm pretty certain she got rid of the German helmet he brought home as a souvenir) There were a lot of strange tools after he died and she hadn't a clue what most of them did, so she had a tool expert in and he told her what they were and whether they were worth anything.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6291 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:46 pm

My grandad had loads of really old tools (he was a carpenter and a farmer). He had really cool things which he used to use for making cart wheels and old ploughs and things like that. Some of them were properly old (handed down to him from his father) and some were very valuable. Unfortunately, my rotten apple cousin (the disabled drug addict one) stayed there with her evil husband (and I am not using that term lightly - for example, he hung her out of a 5th floor window by her leg and hit her against the outside of the building, and she is paralysed down one side, so couldn't defend herself :evil: ) and Evil man sold all the old tools from my grandad's shed to feed his drug habit. :evil: :evil: That was after they wiped out my Nanny's life savings by stealing from her account... :cry:

And on a continuing note of death and destruction, apparently a 21 year old lad (friend of my nephew) was stabbed in our town centre last night, and died. He was killed by a seventeen year old. :cry: I can't imagine what both families are going through right now. Two young lives tragically wasted. :cry:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6292 Post by LAT » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Oh that's dreadful! :(

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#6293 Post by Scurra » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Bunnylump wrote:Does anyone else have parents like this, or is it JUST me?
You really think people are going to answer this question in public? :lol:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6294 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Well, YOU might have a pretty good excuse for not doing so... :lol: (Since we are now approaching that time of year when the threat of no turkey and Christmas cake might start to come into play... :lol:

Wulfruna

#6295 Post by Wulfruna » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Scurra wrote:
Bunnylump wrote:Does anyone else have parents like this, or is it JUST me?
You really think people are going to answer this question in public? :lol:
:o :shock: :shock: :shock: :o
better not in private either......... :twisted:

MBH
King of the Swingers

#6296 Post by MBH » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:24 pm

... out for a day trip. Up and sorted fairly early for a drive across the country to the Christmas Fair at Holker Hall.

Once more a great atmosphere to the grounds with about 40 stalls selling arts, crafts, and food stuff. The jazz trio created a welcom backdrop (and I still no far too many of the words to the songs of the music they play - I'm not REALLY that old - LOL).

I needed a quick emergency text to see that my twin-Sis was OK when I found a meat supplier selling "Bunny Burgers", but it turns out she was fine apart from juggling dangerous chemicals :o

Stunning scenary on the way there with banks of fog filling the low lying areas while we drove over them (very surreal). Various interesting sights provided by nature such as the family of swans flying fairly low and close to the care. Then driving home tonight with a beautiful sunset and seeing Polaris and Jupiter each appearing in the clear blue sky.

Not a bad day at all :)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6297 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:32 pm

:D Sounds like a good day out. Well, apart from the bunny burgers, obviously. :cry: Glad you had a nice day. So is that Christmas all done and dusted and sorted then?? :lol:

MBH
King of the Swingers

#6298 Post by MBH » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Don't be daft :lol: Woodwork, marble items, craft work - I could have spent a fortune if I had any money, but the fact is I'm skint :( Went for the atmosphere and chatting with stall holders we meet at various shows.

This must be the 4th or 5th visit to Holker, and on a sad note it is one of the places that little Jennie used to go with us. November marks a year since she passed away :( All the dogs there (and especially the puppies) made for some bitter-sweet memories.

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#6299 Post by gill216 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:28 pm

How's this for coincidence? I unknowingly misdialled my sons mobile number and got the answerphone message of Dawn Wilby- with a yorkshire accent. I was seriously wondering if my son had gone off and married someone unknown within the past week because I've telephoned his OH twice this week and got no response. :lol: :lol: He wasn't even living in Yorkshire when he got the phone number!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6300 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:34 pm

<Cue spooky music!!> :lol:

Had a bit of a sombre day today. It transpires that the boy who was murdered at the weekend was an ex pupil of the school. Worse still, a girl told me today that her brother was at the nightclub and saw what happened. The boy was trying to break up a fight when he got fatally stabbed. :cry: Makes you think, doesn't it?