Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#7141 Post by MBH » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Yesterday turned into a Maisie Day - with a trip to a pet store in the countryside that does dog training and grooming and aqua-therapy and..... lots more. It was the end of month Bath Day event there so we paid for her to get properly bathed and dried (and then registered with the vet who has an office there). She was checked out and medically declared "Lovely" :)

Then it was a drive out past Durham into an area I've not visited before for the monthly get-together and walk run by the Durham Greyhound Rescue Centre. Met at the carpark of Tunstall Reservoir and about 30 dogs (and owners) walked right round the reservoir. Amazingly good weather (with severely rainy days before, and now after) and a lovely bunch of people.

A bit of a 'non'-day today, but I've just made myself a coffee and I'm nibbling the ears off a chocolate rabbit :D :twisted: :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#7142 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:29 pm

What did you say?? I seem to have suddenly gone deaf. :lol:

Lovely pic, MBH, and that sounds like a good day out. :D
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

MBH
King of the Swingers

#7143 Post by MBH » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:33 pm

You're a purple rabbit, silly - not a chocolate one :lol:

Can't take credit for the pic (although I have a couple on the camera) - that's liked from Wikipedia.

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#7144 Post by gill216 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:35 pm

There was a chocolate rabbit in full view in my caravan last weekend. Nobody commented and nobody ate it. :D
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

kathlyn

#7145 Post by kathlyn » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Just come back from an 8 mile round trip to pick up my paintings from an exhibition. It's really horrid out there trees down, bits of branch and water everywhere, yuk. Didn't sell any of my works of 'art' this year but it's always interesting to see what other people do and what sells.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7146 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:39 pm

I spotted it. On top of the cupboard. :lol: But I felt sorry for it and left it alone. :lol:

Ah well, Kathlyn, there were obviously no buyers with taste present. ;)

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#7147 Post by gill216 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:52 pm

This is probably better suited to the clevers s**ds thread but I'm putting it here anyway.Has anyone ever heard of a child having a root canal filling? Or as an alternative removing the tooth & replacing it with "something". I imagine the something is a bridge or a falsie. This is one of Daniel's baby teeth we are talking about. He has an abcess , needs antibiotics first obviously but this is the Spanish Dentist's take on what happens next. Things have changed considerably since my two had baby teeth ( no it hasn't actually- Mandy still has 2 & she's 36 :D ) but I've not heard of this in a youngster before.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Laura

#7148 Post by Laura » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:30 pm

No, we had a little girl at school who had all her teeth removed because they were rotten, and has just had to wait until her adult teeth started growing.

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#7149 Post by eirian » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:45 pm

... at the in-laws for Thomas's party. Nearly got trapped by these two trees that fell across the road:

Thomas doesn't seem to care, but since our car was on the wrong side we are v.grateful that SIL parked her car further up the road after another tree came down opposite the in-laws house (that one was removable by locals though. This one took the fire brigade). If she hadn't, she wouldn't have been able to (1) go to the chinese to pick up our tea and (2) give us a lift home.
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7150 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:24 pm

I nearly came a cropper driving up to Ashridge this afternoon - a tree had fallen right across the lane. Had a sploshy sort of walk in the rain and squelch but at least it cleared my head very slightly. The bluebells were disappointing this time - usually they coincide with the bright green beech leaves, but the leaves aren't out yet and the bluebells have been pummelled with all the various forms of precipitation. Still, the birds were still singing, the lambs were still gambolling and the air smelled fresh. :) I'm now splattered in mud. (Both LAT and MBH know to their cost that I still go out whatever the weather. LAT and I had a wonderful rendition of percussive variations on a theme by hailstone in the bus shelter!! :lol: )

PS Thomas is so tall, isn't he? I'll be interested to see what age he overtakes his mum. My son overtook me on his 12th birthday. Now it's only the cat and tort that are shorter than I am... :lol:

Oh, and news item, said son learned this weekend that his offer for a funded PhD is unconditional. So the jammy g*t doesn't even need to pass this year, which does concern me slightly, as this may tempt extreme partying! :roll:

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#7151 Post by clvrlad » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Gill try looking here

http://www.deardoctor.com/articles/root ... /index.php

the third page explains the more common treatments
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Wulfruna

#7152 Post by Wulfruna » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:05 pm

eirian wrote:but since our car was on the wrong side .
So glad it wasn't underneath! That was obviously quite a party :shock: :lol:
We've been getting pretty battered down here in the South-West too, as the weather seems to be coming in from this direction. I'd blithely fetched my (semi-hardy) fuchsias outdoors (as should be ok by now) and had to rush them back inside again when two of them shed all their nice new leaves overnight :( .

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#7153 Post by Cenwulf » Tue May 01, 2012 10:19 pm

... catching up on all that's been going on on here. Ten weeks of it!

I've been troubled by a severe lack of Mood (I can only do Puzzlebrains puzzles when I'm 'In the Mood') so I decided to take a break until it showed signs of returning.
The last time I was on was Shrove Tuesday. And now it's MAY! :shock:

So if you haven't noticed me being on - it's because I haven't been on.

And I've missed a lot - including a potential 'catch-up' period over Easter which would have been handy for finishing off some unfinished issues - except for 'Out of This World' which I haven't even started yet. :roll:
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7154 Post by Bunnylump » Tue May 01, 2012 10:33 pm

I had wondered where you'd got to!! :lol: Do ask if you want any back hints. I haven't done all the puzzles, and can't guarantee to remember how they work but I don't mind trying to help if I can.

Wulfruna

#7155 Post by Wulfruna » Tue May 01, 2012 10:39 pm

How nice to hear from you again Cenwulf - welcome back to puzzling :D
As one Wulf to another - yes, I had missed you and your splendid Wolves avatar image......
Hope we'll be seeing more of you - and solving some of your own puzzles, too :D

MBH
King of the Swingers

#7156 Post by MBH » Tue May 01, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi there Cenwulf - Yes, I did miss you, but as a lone Wulf I didn't think you'd want us chasing you down.

My lack of puzzling probably goes back just as far - no energy, time, or interest to do anything with puzzles - I've just been visiting here for the company :D

Fingers crossed your mood stays and we hear more from you.

Wulfruna

#7157 Post by Wulfruna » Wed May 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Getting stuck in Exeter at the same time as the Queen :x . I had a hospital appointment for the annual MOT test on my pacemaker (- can't believe that it's already over a year since I had it fitted :shock: ) and decided to take advantage of being in the city to go and do some pre-holiday shopping. What I didn't know was that this was the very day the Queen's Jubilee tour was due here - and that the Debenham's store overlooks the exact place where she was due to arrive and meet people. However, having battled through gathering crowds I got into the store and am glad to report that I succeeded in finding myself a perfect new holiday outfit, along with a few other essentials. I have to say it was actually an advantage being able to shop in peace and quiet while everybody was outside at the time!
However, I then had to battle through more crowds and detour quite a way round town in order to get to the other shops I needed while I was there - and still managed to get right back to the bus station before HM actually made her arrival (30 minutes late) and trundled past in her car. So I caught a glimpse after all - which was not exactly what I had been planning....... having seen her on several other occasions and sometimes much closer, so I wouldn't have made a special effort to go this time.
However, it is quite moving to witness the crowds that were gathered - all sorts of people, most notably younger age-groups. Whatever our opinions on the institution of the monarchy (and I have very mixed views myself), there is clearly something special vested in the person of the Queen herself that means a lot to people.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7158 Post by Bunnylump » Wed May 02, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm not a big fan of the monarchy, however I do think the Queen does a good job. After all, she is still working hard at the age of 86!

I walked through her garden by accident once, dressed in a kagoul and walking boots. AND I didn't get shot, apprehended, or even questioned. :lol: She came to the front door before she realised we were there (and before we realised she was there). :D

Wulfruna

#7159 Post by Wulfruna » Sun May 06, 2012 8:34 pm

1) ...recovering after our choral society concert last night. We entered new territory by including "Sprig of Thyme" by John Rutter, which is a collection of folk songs arranged in Rutter's inimitable fashion. We usually do more classical stuff - though have also tackled some fascinating music by modern composers, but mainly still all in the classical tradition of church music.
Any work by Rutter is interesting - deceptively simple but with some amazingly intricate harmonies from time to time. We certainly enjoyed the challenge, though I have to admit that I found it a bit troubling because so many songs are about betrayal and loss- all those false lovers who are only after either sex or money..... :roll:
2)..... starting to get ready to go on holiday on Wednesday.... :D :D We shall be off to Crete, which used to be one our favourite destinations in the days when we could afford regular holidays..... This time we are spoiling ourselves by going for two whole glorious weeks (part of OH's special birthday present.....) . At the moment I have no idea if we will get any internet access (it is a fairly remote location), so I may be out of action for a while ;) :lol:

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#7160 Post by clvrlad » Sun May 06, 2012 9:11 pm

ooh lucky you

have a great fortnight
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....