Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
kathlyn

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#7401 Post by kathlyn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:33 am

Dropped something on it from a great height no doubt. Why these baggage handles can't take more care with other peoples property is beyond me. It was our decent Samsonite case which is no use to anyone now!
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#7402 Post by LAT » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:48 pm

What a nuisance for you. Hope you had a good holiday though.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#7403 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:49 pm

That's annoying. But hopefully it was a nice holiday despite that. :D

I've been out spending absurd amounts of money on a. A new washer dryer (ours is definitely on its way out and I'm not waiting this time until it actually dies, like last time :roll: ) and b. Getting K's saxophone fixed in time for her to to major rehearsals for this year's show. Last week someone knocked it of its stand by accident and bent up some of the keys... :roll: ). Well that's one way to spend two month's salary, I suppose. :evil:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#7404 Post by giraffe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Took F shopping in Birmingham. I'm shattered. Managed to buy a suit for sixth form, but he will need another. Why they can't have a uniform I don't know, he will wreck a suit in a very short time, so I have bought a washable one, but they are few and far between. He got some holiday clothes too. I've just got in and later I have to drive back to Birmingham to take K to orchestra. :roll: Anyway we had a nice day out.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7405 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:56 pm

I don't agree with suits for 6th formers either, for the same reason (my son went through his first suit within 6 months). However, I can see why schools do it. At our school, they know that the pupils would NO WAY stay on if they were expected to wear uniform. However, because the school isn't that strict on suits (they just say "business dress") the kids (naturally) stretch this to the outside limits and beyond. Consequently, the girls all look like slappers and the boys all look like oafs. :roll: So it really irritates me that they insist on a really strict STAFF dress code (no open toed sandals, no LINEN ( :roll: ) no T shirts for tops for women, no leggings, no low cut tops, no jeans or canvas trousers. Now I do agree that staff should look SMART - to look businesslike and to exact respect - but NO SANDALS? No LINEN? (even linen suits!!) So I end up spending a fortune on decent clothes, and they get ruined because I work in science lessons / art lessons / technology lessons. And do we get a clothes allowance? No. :evil: And when I'm wearing expensive business clothes and am working with oiks in beach gear, I get a bit arsy. :lol: So I largely ignore the dress code. :D I'm waiting to get challenged. But I don't think they dare. :mrgreen:

giraffe
Twigi

#7406 Post by giraffe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:10 pm

K's school it is smart business dress, but I find quite cheap things for her to wear. Primark and Matalan provide her school clothes or Tesco. They aren't allowed strappy tops, or denim, must wear a tailored jacket with their dress or suit, no cardigans, and if the skirts are too short they are told off or sent home. It's really strict.

F's school the boys suit must be dark, grey, navy or black and can have a pinstripe. They have to wear white shirts and one of the school ties (sixth form tie / prefect / colours / quincentennial) There isn't that much choice, just a pain finding something in his size that is washable.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7407 Post by LAT » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Best advice is to get spare trousers for the suit. The trousers are much more likely to get mucked up and by buying a spare pair you in effect get the equivalent of two suits for only a bit more than one.

giraffe
Twigi

#7408 Post by giraffe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Yes, Stephen does that with all his suits. I might see if I can get another pair, but I think F wants 2 outfits!

kathlyn

#7409 Post by kathlyn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Case arrived quality good but not as good as the samsonite.

Yes, we did have a good holiday with good food and weather.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

giraffe
Twigi

#7410 Post by giraffe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Why didn't they give you a Samsonite? :o

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#7411 Post by MBH » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Bunnylump wrote:the girls all look like slappers and the boys all look like oafs.
Capture. ^^^
Paste to banner design program.
Increase font size to 1200 point.
Make font colour purple.
Add a border of bunnies.
Hang in main hall of a certain school.

:twisted:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7412 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:57 pm

:lol: And I should probably add "and the HLTA looks like a slob" to be fair... :lol:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#7413 Post by gill216 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm sitting in my caravan wondering quite seriously if we are in danger of a flash flood. There doesn't seem to be flood warnings in place for this area but in the last hour the puddles have all joined up and I'd need wellies to get into the car. There must be an inch of water on the road.The sky is black and the rain is torrential. I'm also the only one in my vicinity, everyone else has gone home. Best put on my best pj's.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7414 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Hope you don't float off, Gill!! :lol: We had torrential rain last night and bits and bobs of rain during the day. Which, for me, is good because I'm supposed to be watering my neighbour's garden this week (without a hosepipe, I might add, as we STILL have a hosepipe ban)!! :lol: :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7415 Post by LAT » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Our ban hasn't been lifetd either. And I need wellies to get out to my car. :roll:

Hope you're OK though Gill.

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#7416 Post by Redfraggle » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:42 pm

We have had torrential rain since yesterday. I think there are flood warnings all over here at the moment. Gill get your rubber ring on! :lol:

Wulfruna

#7417 Post by Wulfruna » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Hang in there Gill, hope all is well....

Kathlyn, when we had our case slashed on a flight (also Lufthansa, I think - it was certainly when we were in Berlin) , they replaced it with a better one! And when we turned up at the airport for our return flight, we discovered that we had been upgraded to Club Class (and even enjoyed the posh lounge while we were waiting :D ). So we did quite well out of it :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#7418 Post by giraffe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:56 pm

My friend's husband works in the department that sorts things like that out for British Airways. When we flew somewhere she tried to get us put on the "Previously mishandled" list, which would have given an upgrade etc, but they were full in the better seats!

strep98
One Hot Cherub
Currently reading: Moon Sister

#7419 Post by strep98 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 pm

....been watching my little duckling grow into a swan from her Prom (very proud Mum!)
I don't have hot flushes. I have short holidays in the Tropics.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.
A pesimist is only an optimist who knows more

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7420 Post by LAT » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:48 pm

Aah, lovely! Was she pleased with how she looked in the end?