Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#8081 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:31 pm

I was considering making a snowman (we now have about two or three inches of snow) but I don't want to frighten away all the birds which are currently flocking round the various bird feeders I have just distributed all round the garden. Poor little things. My cat is refusing point blank to go outside and yet she's been drinking loads. Hmmm. :? I would quite like to make a snow Scotsman in the hope he might last until next Friday when we're hopefully doing Burn's Night here! :D :D

Sorry you can't get to the funeral, LAT, but it's best to be safe than sorry. I know so many people who had either weddings or funerals to go to today and tomorrow, I imagine there will be lots of events with very few attendees...

Mind you, if my Burn's Night goes ahead I shall expect my guests to walk here if necessary...even if they are wearing kilts!! :mrgreen: :lol:

And probably the reason they don't make a fuss about the snow if it's only up north is that the Northerners are more used to it and don't make so much FUSS as the wussy southerners!! :lol: I can hardly believe the fuss people round here make if it gets a bit cold, or it rains or snows. You should hear the whinging which goes on at work!! :roll: :roll: The weather doesn't usually bother me at all unless it's DANGEROUS and I have to travel somewhere in the car.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#8082 Post by giraffe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm

It's the wrong sort of snow for snowmen here, the dry powdery drifty stuff. My two intrepid explorers have headed out to see what the main roads are like in the hope that we can go and fetch K.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#8083 Post by LAT » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Definitely the clumpy stuff here - about 4 to 5 inches so far and it's still snowing. I've just been round the garden knocking the snow off some of the more laden down plants. I love seeing the way they bounce back as if to say 'thanks that feels much better' :lol:

I don't mind the snow as long as I don't have to go somewhere. I don't like driving when I'm not confident I will be in proper control of the car and that the same will apply to others on the road. I'm glad I don't have to get to work until Monday, just hope I can do so then.

Hope you get K home safely giraffe! And that the exam went well for her.

giraffe
Twigi

#8084 Post by giraffe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Home safey, but exam was awful. Oh well she can try again in the summer if necessary.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8085 Post by LAT » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Glad she's home OK. And at least having an awful exam now is better than an awful one in the summer as there is the chance to resit if necessary.

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#8086 Post by gill216 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:42 pm

...taking into account the weather warnings about the snow that hasn't really happened here. We had a light dusting around 4pm and that's stopped now.

We thought it was getting very cold because we were cold inside the house. Then I discovered the pilot light on our boiler (yes, THAT boiler) was out. Several attempts later I got it to stay alight but I'm not confident. Watch this space. It won't be chocolates and flowers I'll be needing this time if it doesn't!

gill216

#8087 Post by gill216 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Nope, Its broken :evil:

kathlyn

#8088 Post by kathlyn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Still snowing here now about 3 ins deep but it's wet stuff temp dropping so roads will be ice rinks tomorrow.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8089 Post by LAT » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Oh dear Gill, that doesn't sound good! :(

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8090 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Oh dear, Gill, hope you get that sorted out quickly! :shock: Ours is still clanking and banging. Has my husband (who is qualified to fix / replace it) even bothered to look at it? No. :roll: They do say the cobbler's children are the worst shod, don't they?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8091 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Well, I have to say, having been stuck in, watching telly I am now in full agreement with MBH. What is the matter with the TV companies? Is there seriously NO other news in the whole of the world other than the snow? They even had a special half hour news programme, all about the fact that it has snowed in the winter in Britain. Am I missing something here? Is this actually UNUSUAL? :lol: I have just watched the main news, which had a feature from Flamstead (which is quite close to me) in which they felt the need to point out that
1. If it freezes tonight, the roads will be icy
2. The pub landlord had bought in extra eggs.
3. If it snowed some more then they might get cut off.

Well all I can say is SHOCK HORROR REPORT!! :lol: :lol:

Is it just me or is this really quite bizarre?? :lol:

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#8092 Post by clvrlad » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:48 am

not that "bad" here worst luck...... i like snow
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

kathlyn

#8093 Post by kathlyn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:40 am

Started off with a really good laugh about 'Tesco Burgers'. Lots of jokes the type of which just make me crack up.

The down side of the day so far is it's snowing again :evil:
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

gill216

#8094 Post by gill216 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Wondering where everyone is.

Are you all snowed in? We aren't. :D We have had very little snow so far. Not enough to stop the world anyway.
I must have kidded myself yesterday that we were holed up. I went upstairs to put on my pj's last night and only then realised I hadn't got out of them all day. :shock: :mrgreen:

Laura

#8095 Post by Laura » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:21 pm

Excellent Gill. Sounds like the perfect way to spend a Saturday!

I'm still here. I've just started making a Herman the German Friendship Cake, and that's about as exciting as my weekend has been!

giraffe
Twigi

#8096 Post by giraffe » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:33 pm

It's been snowing all day here, on top of the 6 inches that fell on friday. No one has gone down our road in a car since Friday. edit: as I was typing that a neighbour went past in his car, being pushed by his son!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8097 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:33 pm

Well I haven't DRIVEN anywhere but I've been out walking. Went to my brother's first (to deliver birthday present) - walked along the canal, which was better than the roads but the humped back bridge with black ice was quite challenging. Then we walked all the way back and further on to visit one of D's friends - to find he has just had to have a QUADRUPLE heart bypass - he's 54 today! Apparently he went to the doctor because he'd "had this weird sensation in his chest" and got admitted and operated on there and then. :shock: :shock: It's lucky he did that because this was exactly what his Dad died of 41 years ago. :shock: The bizarre thing was that he didn't know he had anything wrong with him! :shock:

Laura

#8098 Post by Laura » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:23 am

Well, I've cleared the driveway of snow and managed to a) hurt my back (inevitable) and b) make the tips of all my fingers swell up. Don't know how or why this has happened. It's as if I trapped them all in a door. Very bizarre. If anyone can explain, I'd be very interested. It's not because of the cold, I don't think. I had gloves on and my hands don't feel cold. It makes typing quite interesting though!!!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8099 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Frostbite? :? That's really odd, isn't it? Hope it sorts itself out soon.

I had a great RE lesson today. Simon (RE teacher) was teaching about Buddhism. He had all the kids (and me!) meditating for 30 minutes!! Bliss. :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8100 Post by LAT » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Getting fed up with having to trudge to and from where I've parked my car, but I did see two deer this morning on my way there. They looked almost as surprised to see me as I was to see them.