Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#8281 Post by gill216 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:13 pm

.., remembering Tricia. It's a year today since she was no longer with us.

It's also my son's birthday (which is how I remembered) and he's got far more important things to do than even spare time to talk to mum. :lol:

Wulfruna

#8282 Post by Wulfruna » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:27 pm

I'm busy packing ready to fly out to Germany tomorrow. This is my regular trip to the amazing "Kirchentag", a church-related event which happens every two years in a different city - this time in Hamburg.
100,000 people will be gathering for five days (Wednesday to Sunday) and going to all kinds of events, from serious lectures and bible studies to discussions on every topic under the sun - politics, economics, technology,ecology, human rights, third world development and debt..... and involving speakers from all walks of life, including government ministers (and Angela Merkel herself), leaders of industry, business and commerce, scientists and international experts, as well as theologians. And alongside all that there are concerts of every kind of music from Taize chants, gospel choirs, jazz, rock, pop, classical - non-stop!
There will also be around 4,000 international visitors from all around the world (including 200 from the UK). I help with the provision of an official International Centre, offering help and advice to foreign guests and helping with translations. So I shall be working, as well as enjoying myself! But no time for puzzling, I'm afraid......

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#8283 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 pm

I've taken to having a walk most days when I get home from work - usually right from my house, a three mile walk which takes me though a nature reserve. It's so lovely there just now - there's a huge bank of cowslips. :D It's such a good thing to do after a long day at work, clears my head and gives me at least a little bit of the evening when I'm NOT sat on my a*se!! :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#8284 Post by LAT » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:52 pm

We went to Wisley this morning. The gardens were looking lovely in the spring sunshine.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#8285 Post by Scurra » Thu May 02, 2013 10:54 am

Yesterday I was mostly going down the Elbe on a ferry. It was a gorgeous day (unlike today which is grey and overcast) and Hamburg looked quite nice!
Argh! This German kezboard has the Y and Z the wrong waz around. :lol:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Wulfruna

#8286 Post by Wulfruna » Thu May 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Zou just have to get used to it. :lol: It was only when I came to use the German keyboard that I realised how common a letter Z is for them and the almost total absence of Y. However, the sun has come out again this afternoon and Hamburg is looking really good! Maybe our paths might even cross some time, amongst all the hundreds of events there are to go to and the thousands of people who are milling about!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8287 Post by Bunnylump » Thu May 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Sounds fab! I've worked for over 10 hours... :roll:

Enjoy yourselves. :D

Wulfruna

#8288 Post by Wulfruna » Fri May 03, 2013 3:24 pm

Well, yes, but I am actually working as well :? . I am on the go from 9am to 9pm, offering help to British participants, troubleshooting when problems arise, and doing some translations..... it also involves quite a lot of Walking from one location to another!
But yes, it is also great fun and lovely to meet old friends whom I only see every two years :D

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#8289 Post by gill216 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:49 pm

And where is the errant son to help you out on these occasions? :shock: :lol:

Wulfruna

#8290 Post by Wulfruna » Sat May 04, 2013 11:08 am

Well, I might just bump into him by chance amongst the hundred thousand people milling around in dozens of Locations around the City! Not too surprisingly, we tend to be interested in different events. I didn't see him yesterday at all, but maybe today. :D
Unfortunately, he does not have internet access where he is staying and the connections are not very reliable in the Internet Cafe. I am ok because as a worker I have a pass to the Press Centre, where there are terminals. Though I only get here once a day!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8291 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 10, 2013 5:20 pm

I was trudging around Tesco today (in a mood because I hate shopping) when a lady approached me.
"Excuse me," she said, "I am trying to set up a focus group, and need ladies between the ages of 25 and 44 to help us..." I intercepted her and told her that unfortunately, I didn't fall into that category. However, as I walked off (obviously feeling mightily chuffed that I could sneak an extra 8 years off :lol: ) I thought to myself "well, that was either a stupidly shortsighted lady, OR Tesco are trying some interesting tactics to make people want to come shopping here!!" :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8292 Post by LAT » Fri May 10, 2013 5:41 pm

:D
These days I'm more likely to get asked if I qualify for OAP reductions. :roll:

Laura

#8293 Post by Laura » Fri May 10, 2013 6:45 pm

When I helped on the ticket sales at the school fair as a teenager, I was told "Always ask for full price. Then, if they are an OAP they'll be flattered and spend more money!"

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8294 Post by Bunnylump » Sun May 12, 2013 2:54 pm

...to Ashridge, walking amongst the bluebells. They are fabulous this year - a lovely lilac haze across the forest floor, which have coincided spectacularly with the opening of the beautiful bright spring green leaves of the beech trees. :D

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#8295 Post by eirian » Sun May 12, 2013 11:14 pm

... singing at Bury Choral Society's 175th anniversary concert, including a world premier of a fantastic modern piece 'Cotton Mills'. Ok, so it won't have been a lot of people's cup of tea, but I love it. Went really well, even if I did spend a lot of the time in between singing being official photographer.
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Laura

#8296 Post by Laura » Mon May 20, 2013 7:45 am

So today is the big day. Roo's operation on his skull starts at about 8.30 this morning, and lasts pretty much all day. He'll then be on the high dependency unit for a few days then back on the ward. Meanwhile we have Flossy staying with us. Yesterday she got up from her nap, and when asked if she wanted a drink of milk, she replied "No. Cake." She's 18 months old. I'd say she's got a fairly good measure of the situation at Grandma's house!

giraffe
Twigi

#8297 Post by giraffe » Mon May 20, 2013 7:59 am

I hope Roo's operation is a success. I was thinking about you all yesterday and wondering if he had had it yet.

chazzie

#8298 Post by chazzie » Mon May 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Laura - hope everythings going well with Roo's Op - thinking of you all.

Laura

#8299 Post by Laura » Mon May 20, 2013 3:17 pm

From what I've heard so far, it seems to be going ok. They should be finished between 4pm and 7pm. Suggests to me that it's fairly unpredictable how long it might take and how it will go, but we're all hoping for as close to a 4pm finish as possible!

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8300 Post by LAT » Mon May 20, 2013 5:30 pm

Thinking of you all Laura. Do hope it all goes well.
Did Flossie get her cake?