Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#8521 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:02 pm

OMG, unbelievable. Just got a letter from Capita saying I needed to contact them about my civil service pension. Rang up and spoke to a young lad who was so nervous he was stammering and apologising. Apparently, they were trying to ascertain where I live ( :? The letter was sent to my house!) because "when the pensions were transferred over to us they didn't give us anyone's details." :shock:

I pointed out that the only communication I had EVER had from the civil service concerning pensions was in 1987, when the wrote to me (using a first class stamp) to tell me that I was entitled to 12p per year from the age of 60. :lol: I also pointed out that he wasn't inspiring a tremendous amount of confidence by telling me that they had taken on the administration of people's pensions without first making sure they knew where the people lived and who they were. :lol: I assumed it must have been a recent transfer...until he said "we took the pension over in 2002 so thought we'd better try to locate the people whose pensions we are looking after."

Oh well, I suppose, knowing how the civil service works,11 years isn't that long... :lol: Still, the good news is that that projected 12 p a year has somehow gone up to over £1000 a year. That should pay for my puzzle habit, I suppose. :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#8522 Post by giraffe » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:00 pm

Every so often I get a letter from the liquidators of my pension telling me it has gone bust and they are just tracking us all down and will be in touch soon. Years later still no news, so I assume the pot is empty. Annoying as I could have transferred out and into a private pension when left the firm, but thought it was safer where it was. :roll:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#8523 Post by gill216 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:42 pm

I had a piddling pension as well. I had to track it down via the pension tracing service and held out no hope. I got almost £4000 lump sum and £50 per month from last year. I took it and bought an annuity thinking that it was better in my pocket now than going down the swanee later.

giraffe
Twigi

#8524 Post by giraffe » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:28 pm

.......in the car. Drove up to Durham and back to leave Kingsley there. :( The last mile took 45 minutes as it was total chaos, but very well organised chaos.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8525 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:56 pm

It's HORRIBLE, isn't it? I cried all the way home when I left K!! Mind you, by the time it was Dibble's turn, I was WELL up for it!! :lol: :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#8526 Post by giraffe » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:38 pm

She has been really looking forward to it and said she wasn't nervous at all, but she had a few "rabbit in the headlight" moments today. I briefly met her roommate, but they hadn't met when we left. (We were looking for K to say goodbye and found the roommate instead.) I don't think it has hit me yet that she has gone.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#8527 Post by LAT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:48 pm

I don't think I ever felt it was horrible to leave K at uni. :roll: I was excited for her. I found it harder when she went off to China last year. It seemed a greater split. I know I was going to see her after a few weeks (for a couple of days) but I knew that it would be several months before I would see her again after that.

giraffe
Twigi

#8528 Post by giraffe » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm very excited for her, but I always miss them when they are away. I don't think she has been away for more than a week before. She won't miss us at all once she has settled in. And this time next year there will only be Lally at home.

giraffe
Twigi

#8529 Post by giraffe » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:20 pm

.......cross.

Someone crashed into the back of my car this afternoon. :(

chazzie

#8530 Post by chazzie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Oh No - was there much damage - are you (others in the car?) OK?

giraffe
Twigi

#8531 Post by giraffe » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:32 pm

I was alone in the car, on my way to get Lally. My head feels a bit funny, so I might have slight concussion, and I have aches in funny places, but I think I'm ok. There is a big car shaped dent in the back end but it is drivable. I was worried that the idiot wasn't insured because he didn't know his own address and had to get someone to text it to him, but my insurance company seemed happy with the details and said it seemed to be insured.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8532 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Oh no!! That's really annoying, Giraffe. But glad to hear you didn't have any major injury - hope you're OK...

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8533 Post by LAT » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:48 pm

:( Oh poor you giraffe. I do hope you are OK

Do see a doctor if the headaches persist.

Wulfruna

#8534 Post by Wulfruna » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:13 pm

What a nasty experience - it's bound to shake you up. And yes, it may be that you should check things out with the doctor in any case. Though hopefully you are getting lots of tlc at home ;)
And I do hope the insurance turns out ok - I suppose the fellow may have been in a bit of a state of confusion at the time as well, but it must have been frustrating for you.

giraffe
Twigi

#8535 Post by giraffe » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:24 pm

He said he moved house today, it just sounded so fishy, but it may have been true.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8536 Post by LAT » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:37 pm

I suppose it might also explain why he was distracted. If true he has had a pretty eventful day!!

giraffe
Twigi

#8537 Post by giraffe » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:42 pm

I've just looked up the address he gave and it is in our village, only half a mile away from here!.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8538 Post by LAT » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:43 pm

Oh "hello, I'm your new neighbour!" :lol:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#8539 Post by gill216 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:32 pm

.. having a weird day. Some nice, some not so nice.

Cleaning up after having a new boiler fitted and thermostats put on all radiators yesterday. Not one room was left untouched! Discovering that I have 4 soaked carpets. What is it with me and boiler things that result in water everywhere!!!?

Going for my first flu jab and getting stabbed in both arms as I'm allegedly eligible for the pneumonia jab as well. Not sure that I was but I've had it now and its a once only thing. They can't take it back now can they. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best part of today was free cycle training. Not sure if every area does this but in W. Yorks we can have 7 hours free. It was an action packed 2 hours today. I can take off a wheel and fix a puncture properly. ie not as shown by him who thinks he knows but by someone who actually knows. :mrgreen: I can replace my brake pads and I can put my chain back on the easy way instead of the hard way that I was shown by guess who. I also know how to sort out brakes, tyre pressures and what I need to carry with me. Again as opposed to what I have been carrying with me (all would have been useless and if they had a cycle AA I'd have been better off ringing them.)

Can't wait for the next 2 hour session. Despite only having been a serious cyclist for 3 months, (I learned to ride a bike as a kid but never actually cycled) my next session is multiple lanes and roundabouts on busy roads. After a 30min quick assessment as to what I can and cant do confidently I was gobsmacked. Best thing I ever did but I have to say that without my mate who has dragged me out and made me do it I'd not be where I am today. 20 miles on quiet roads no problem. :shock:

giraffe
Twigi

#8540 Post by giraffe » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:12 pm

When we had our new boiler there was water pouring through the lounge ceiling!